My BP Failed !!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mandy3206:
Yes buddies, My SS BP failed last friday, on the second dive, I experienced some minor movement in my tank, so I grabbed the tank butt and noticed that it was loose, imediately realized that the wing nuts in the STA where loose.
I signaled my buddy and he tightened them for me in a sec.

Later evaluation confirmed that since the boat operator changed tanks (required by the boat operator), I didn't performed the last minute gear check, so I didn't notice the loose wingnuts, it boils down to my mistake.

I learned from this episode 3 lessons:

1- Never let anyone set your gear for you.

2- Allways perform the last minute check, even if you assembled your gear.

3- Never get in that boat again (they let you assemble at the dock, but they must change tanks at the dive site due to boat rock).

Sounds like a lesson learned, although I don't see how changing tanks could loosen the wingnuts.

No one touches my gear, or carries it.

The wing nuts suck, get SS self locking nuts and don't bother checking them.(INCOMING!).

r37691:
EBUABP = Error Between User And Backplate :mischief:

Loose Nut In Front Of The Backplate?

A little blue loctite will take care of this problem.

Mandy3206:
Yes buddies, My SS BP failed last friday, on the second dive, I experienced some minor movement in my tank, so I grabbed the tank butt and noticed that it was loose, imediately realized that the wing nuts in the STA where loose.
I signaled my buddy and he tightened them for me in a sec.

Later evaluation confirmed that since the boat operator changed tanks (required by the boat operator), I didn't performed the last minute gear check, so I didn't notice the loose wingnuts, it boils down to my mistake.

Oh Mandy,

It is virtually impossible for a SS Backplate to fail. It's just a hunk of steel, so unless the water you were in was impregnated with some special acid that disintegrates stainless steel while emitting a force field around it that protects anything else from its special powers I think you may just be confusing product failure with user error.

SOP is to always tighten your nuts before diving. Now if you primarily dive singles with a plate / wing and actually use an STA then you may want to turn your wing nuts in for a set of acorn nuts and just put them on with a lock washer and tighten with a wrench.

Also note that if your diving rig was being transported on a boat it is not uncommon for the vibrations of the boat while underway to 'vibrate" loose nuts off the rod.

Remember, tighten your nuts.

Regards,

Damn guys, calm down. Looking at the icon that went along with the subject I thought it was obvious the "bp failure" line was just a joke. She was just posting her mistake so that others might avoid it.

Cool it :)

jonnythan:
Damn guys, calm down. Looking at the icon that went along with the subject I thought it was obvious the "bp failure" line was just a joke. She was just posting her mistake so that others might avoid it.

Cool it :)

Diving is very dangerous and very serious, epescially if you are being critical of hogarthian gear. There is no room for joking here. There are new divers out there reading this man, what if reading a post like that scares them away from backplates forever?
No, we must not relent, it is our duty. She's a he too.

JS1scuba:
Also note that if your diving rig was being transported on a boat it is not uncommon for the vibrations of the boat while underway to 'vibrate" loose nuts off the rod.

Regards,

HUH?

Anyway, self locking nuts are fire-and-forget.

I do use flat washers, to keep the plate from galling.

Scubakevdm:
Diving is very dangerous and very serious, epescially if you are being critical of hogarthian gear. There is no room for joking here. There are new divers out there reading this man, what if reading a post like that scares them away from backplates forever?
No, we must not relent, it is our duty. She's a he too.
Are you being serious?

Sorry about the "she" thing though, I assumed Mandy was female.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom