My BP Failed !!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm:
!!!

They said PG-13

Having been using back plates since 1988 and having manufactured thousands of them over the years I can say without any reservations a 2-12 hour boat ride will vibrate loose a hand-tightend set of wing nuts.

I was gearing up for a tie-in on the Doria a few years back and forgot to tighten my nuts. Just before I stood up I felt that small tiny clicking behind my back. I asked my crew-mate to "stick your hand behind my back and tighten my nuts" she did and away I went.

It's important to note that its the top nut that really needs to be tight. It's the one that holds the whole thing in place. The bottom nut is not that critical, but, you need at least one nut.

Off to the office ................

Regards,

JS1scuba:
I was gearing up for a tie-in on the Doria a few years back and forgot to tighten my nuts. Just before I stood up I felt that small tiny clicking behind my back. I asked my crew-mate to "stick your hand behind my back and tighten my nuts" she did and away I went.

It's important to note that its the top nut that really needs to be tight. It's the one that holds the whole thing in place. The bottom nut is not that critical, but, you need at least one nut.

Off to the office ................

God -- you are killing me here Joel....

LMAO!!!

Have a good day at the office...

Kimber

TekDiveGirl:
God -- you are killing me here Joel....

LMAO!!!

Have a good day at the office...

Kimber

Oh there was one more time when a BP failed. It was a very long time ago. We were using those plastic plates that DR made in the 80s we were diving in some wicked cold water and it must have been too cold or the guy was too fat squeezing into the harness but the darn thing split right down the middle. The only thing that was left was the wing nut, the washer and the plastic ring around the rod. When when we asked the guy how he tightend his nuts he said "with a vise grip" ........

Moral of that story was to keep your nuts out of the vise.

Really off to the office now ........ i have orders to ship.........

jds

"I guess if I jumped in the water with a jacket BC before doing up the fasteners and the cumberbund, I could post something about how "My Poodle Jacket failed...""

I love that, funny!!!!! maybe they need a forum for poodle jacket divers. They could wear like fluffy pink/neon ankle bracelets to accesorize with their neon poodle jackets. You guys are to funny.
I understood the intitial post--thanks for the tip/reminder. I had a dive boat DM switch my tanks once---it is quite common actually. He failed to resecure the buckle and when he hoisted the outfit up to me the tank and reg went swimming with him holding the backplate and a stupid look on his face! Oh well, I had my mask and fins on so I grabbed the BC and plate and rolled over the side after them, it was only 50 or 60 feet deep and the tank landed in a clear patch of sand. I put it on and continued my dive. It was another time I got chewed out for not following the rules and diving without waiting on my buddy. Hmmmm! N

:wink: :wink:

Yep, Mandy is from ARMANDO, no problem, I get that confusion a lot with english speaking people, don't worry about it.

My nuts are very tight right now and I'll check them before every dive!!!

Guys, don't take it so personal, diving is fun and posting is fun too so relax

As mentioned before, the heading was intended so the anti BP can have some fun, I'll stick to my BP and will never go back to a jacket style BC, maybe for travel I'll confiscate my brothers DR TPII, but that one will be decided before packing for a trip.
Maybe an Aluminum BP wil solve the travel dilema, but that's another thread.

:07: :07:

Mandy3206:
I'll stick to my BP and will never go back to a jacket style BC, maybe for travel I'll confiscate my brothers DR TPII, but that one will be decided before packing for a trip.
Maybe an Aluminum BP wil solve the travel dilema, but that's another thread.
Barely any difference when you pack the rest of your gear as well, took my SS BP with me to SoCal as i wanted some extra weight without lead, was fine with the flight. It also takes up less room to pack the BP/W than a TP2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom