My buying used steel tank experience.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would a shop refuse to fill a steel tank if it passes both hydro and visual inspections. I have never heard of a steel tank exploding. It sounds like the shop wants to sell you some there own gear as well as a good load of BS. I have purchased four Lp72's in the last year all older than me and all are now happily in service.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Acctually there have been steel tanks that have ruptured. But all of them, with the exception of those involved in actions such as fires, were caused by excessive corrosion that could have been caught IF they had been current on hydros and Vis inspections (but they were not).

CGA "rules" are NOT necessarily referenced into the CFRs. SOME CGA publications are. There's a list of which ones at the beginning of 49 CFR, at 171 or thereabouts. Last thing I knew, P-5 was not one of them, so (unless things have changed) it is only advice, not law, and does not empower anyone to condemn tanks.

IWe're both wrong about annual testing of scuba cylinders. In CGA Pub P-5 Paragraph 6.1 the Compressed Gas Association requires all cylinders in SCUBA service to be visually inspected annually. CGA rules are incorporated by reference by DOT.
I got this information from Dale Fox's website page, by the way.

Last edited:
Every deal etc I've done with him so far has been up front and fair for both parties.

Well, except for this one....don't feel too bad. It seems that the dive shop owner that really understands the rules and practices for older cylinders is the exception, not the rule. You wouldn't believe the stuff we read about on this forum on a regular basis.

The problem, as you have more or less stated, is that it doesn't really matter whether the shop is following the correct rules and procedures for the handling of old (not even that old) cylinders. The legality is that they own the compressor, and they can refuse to fill any tank they want to. But they can't deface or otherwise mark your cylinder, only a DOT testing facility can do that.

The bit about the round bottom signifying an obsolete tank is a particularly good one, though. I guess he's never taken the boot off of a new steel tank.

In fairness, he said the "hydroguy" would be the one that failed the tank, not him.
Well, except for this one....don't feel too bad. It seems that the dive shop owner that really understands the rules and practices for older cylinders is the exception, not the rule. You wouldn't believe the stuff we read about on this forum on a regular basis.

The problem, as you have more or less stated, is that it doesn't really matter whether the shop is following the correct rules and procedures for the handling of old (not even that old) cylinders. The legality is that they own the compressor, and they can refuse to fill any tank they want to. But they can't deface or otherwise mark your cylinder, only a DOT testing facility can do that.

The bit about the round bottom signifying an obsolete tank is a particularly good one, though. I guess he's never taken the boot off of a new steel tank.

In fairness, he said the "hydroguy" would be the one that failed the tank, not him.
And, hopefully the "hydroguy" is more knowledgeable. Presuming it passes hydro, you have the option of selling it, trading it to someone in another area where filling it will not be an issue, or holding onto it and possibly taking it with you if you travel (by car) to dive in a not too distant location, and having it filled there. I suspect there is some level of miscommunication or misunderstanding here, since some of the statements you indicate he made (the 'round bottom' one in particular) seem at odds with the image of a competent LDS owner. Perhaps, he was referring to AL tanks, using them as an example of situations where a tank should be taken ut of service, and not your steel specifically?

He doesn't not have to fill your tank, hydroed or not. You do not have to buy an alternative used steel tank from him, either.

Round bottom only applies to AL tanks.
and is correct...remove all round bottom AL tanks from service.

To the OP - You keep saying you're screwed, I don't see it. You've seen how popular these tanks are from the commentary here. If it passes hydro and your LDS still refuses to fill the tank you can almost certainly re-sell the tank. I'd personally start shopping a compressor and weaning myself off the crappy LDS, personally (I have no patience for small business owners and their "policies").

I'd bet $1k that the guy that said that to me about the round bottom was pulling my leg.

I guess I'm good to go on the tank. I just got off the phone with the LDS and it passed. At least I'm good for the next year at the minimum.

I guess I'm good to go on the tank. I just got off the phone with the LDS and it passed. At least I'm good for the next year at the minimum.
What??? That is not possible! After all you were clearly told by your LDS that 'anything over 25yrs automatically fails hydro', and that because it was lined it was 'an automatic no-go'? :)

Seriously, glad that part worked out. And, thanks for the follow-up, so that all of us opinionated types have some closure. Did the LDS also say they would actually fill it? :)

Back
Top Bottom