My first DIY project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amascuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I finished my first DIY project tonight. I built the "el cheapo" oxygen analyzer from oxycheq. It was pretty challenging since I've only used a soldering iron about 3 times in the past five years, but I was suprised that my solders looked about half decent, especially compared to my other "projects" that involved soldering.

So far my preliminary tests have come out positive and analyzes a tank of air correctly. Tomorrow I'll have to see if I can make it to my LDS and analyze a tank of their nitrox. :)

I'll post pictures as soon as I get the film developed. Yes, I'm still using a 35mm. :)

Congratulations. I have been thinking about buying one of those. Let us know how it works. It is complicated? It is cumbersome....?

Hey Merph,

Checkout my DIY site. These things are easy to build and you can get the parts on line. The most expensive part of the O2 analyzer is the O2 cell. They cost about $60 to $70 but the rest of the analyzer might cost you $35 to $40 depending on how fancy you want to get. I built mine several years ago and it's worked perfectly.

I'm considering buying that kit myself. Do I need to buy any additional plumbing/parts to be able to use it? It wasn't really clear on the web site how you connect the sensor to your tank.

dflipp:
I'm considering buying that kit myself. Do I need to buy any additional plumbing/parts to be able to use it? It wasn't really clear on the web site how you connect the sensor to your tank.

It is simple. If you know much about electronics you can build the whole thing in less than an hour. You can slowly freeflow your gas intoit to calibrate and check or you can make an adapter. oxycheck also sells them pretty cheap.

Have fun!!!

knowing at least a little bit about DC circuits is a must and also knowing how to use a soldering iron doesn't hurt much either. :wink: I finally got some pictures. Here you go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom