My first Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T_Mancini

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a dry suit and getting the cert now that I am stationed in South Dakota. I would like to hear some suggestions of some that won't break my wallet but will be a good lasting suit.

Tim

I've never used one, but Bare has lots of suits that are quite cheap, their top-of-the line is only a little over 1k. If you want a great one that will last forever, go for a Diving Concepts or a DUI.

I suggest that you get a trilaminate suit instead of compressed neoprene, that way you can dive the same suit in the Arctic that you dive in the Carribean.

I've heard bad things about the Bare neoprene wetsuits. Is there any truth to that? I too am in the hunt for my first drysuit.

Seriously, learn from my expensive mistakes. Forget about the cheap options and go right for a DUI TLS350. I had the Bare XCD2 Tech Dry and that was just terrible...waaaaaay too heavy and bulky. I even had a DUI CF200 and I found it to be a pain in the *** because of how heavy it was and how long it took to dry. Get the TLS trust me.

T_Mancini:
I am looking into buying a dry suit and getting the cert now that I am stationed in South Dakota. I would like to hear some suggestions of some that won't break my wallet but will be a good lasting suit.

Tim

Get that. Pros use them

If you want to save money & get a decent suit, try an Atlan neoprene drysuit. I just got mine this week (the E-100 Sport with the optional latex seals). I didn't have a lot to spend, and it didn't break my budget. It's great: fits like a glove, no leaks, feels great. It's cheaper than the Bare suits, too. Check out their website: http://atlaninc.com/

rachelscott51:
Bare drysuits, I mean

Hi, rachel - I am also a pretty new drysuit diver. I bought a Bare D6 as my entry-level suit, and I like it a lot - I recommend you get the rock boots if you go this route, though it sounds like you're looking elsewhere. I chose Bare because I can fit well into their stock sizes and wanted a 6 or 7 mm neoprene drysuit for the first few years (I get cold easily, and I have heard from many experienced drysuit divers that they thought that having a neoprene suit as their first one taught them a lot about buoyancy). Seals have been fine - no leaks yet, and I've put about 50 dives on it since I bought it in spring 2004.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Don't buy a neoprene suit. Find a place that will let you try on suits and get the bset fitting trilam you can buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom