My first experience with BP/Wing... and a question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is all the convincing I need :) I can get used to it, like anything else I may learn to love it.

Should I avoid using my butt-pull, or whatever you call it? the ball on the string on the bottom left...

For a horizontally trimmed diver the primary means of vent a wing should be via the OPV. The Over Pressure Valve, or "Rear Dump" or "Pull Dump" should be located on the divers side of the wing, on the lower left.

What is often over looked by new users is the proper method of dumping via the OPV. You need to pull the string UP and Back, like you are trying to reach around behind yourself. That lifts the OPV up to where the bubble in the wing is.

If you pull down the valve will open, but the gas is higher in the wing and nothing happens.

Oh BTW, more good news, you need to remove the ball on the end of the string. The ball can wrap around the left hip dring on your harness, and cause other mischief.

Tobin

I'm using the SeaSoft weight pouches, since they have a clip release. And a way to zipper load from the top without pulling the clips. However, I will mention a huge disadvantage: They take up a LOT of space, and I have a fairly small waist. This means that I have a D-ring, followed by a weight pack, followed by the buckle.. all very tightly spaced. I'm still unsure of how to fit my canister light.

The DIR-Zone / DTD ones have buckles mounted already and work pretty well:

119.jpg

Ahhhh, ok. Talking about horizontal diver having the OVP be the highest point I thought for a second I put my wing on backwards. Next week I will try reaching behind me and lifting up...that doesn't sound too tricky.

Cut the ball off? (sounds like I am finishing a castration...) It is only on about 2 inches of string... I guess better safe than sorry. Just tie a knot in it to keep it from fraying?

BarryNL... those pouches look NICE.

On further inspection, DIR-Zone and DTD are European... any idea where they might be sold in the US (online)?

Cut the ball off? (sounds like I am finishing a castration...) It is only on about 2 inches of string... I guess better safe than sorry. Just tie a knot in it to keep it from fraying?

It's almost certainly nylon - just melt the end a bit with a flame. And you might want to tie a couple of knots into the string anyway to make it easier to grab.

Fair enough. But I do want to ask, if you don't plan on ditching it, why wear the weight on a belt? Why not integrate it into the rig? Or do you just prefer to keep it on your person?

I wear a lot of my weight on a belt for a couple of reasons. One, it makes the rig much easier to move around on land. Two, it puts the weight where it needs to be to balance me out properly.

I use a weight belt with XS Scuba weight pockets. You can open them and remove a weight while diving, if you need to. It also gives you the flexibility to change your weighting easily for different configurations (wet vs. dry, or different undergarments). I also use XS Scuba weight pockets on the cambands when diving a single tank, and put a little weight there for good trim.

One recommendation -- If you go with a weight belt of any kind, make sure it doesn't have a plastic buckle. The only time I've lost a weight belt, it was with the original plastic buckle. Since I upgraded to a good quality metal one, I've never had any problems.

Ahhhh, ok. Talking about horizontal diver having the OVP be the highest point I thought for a second I put my wing on backwards. Next week I will try reaching behind me and lifting up...that doesn't sound too tricky.

Look here DIR-diver.com - Dumpvalve
or here
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3564531-post3.html

BarryNL... those pouches look NICE.

I'm sure the pouches work fine. I'd recommend sticking with a conventional weight belt. They are cheap and universally available.

Keep in mind that with a simple "Hog" harness you can easily open the waist belt on the harness, and the crotch strap will slide off the buckle.

Then you can open the buckle on the weight belt and ditch it easily without having it hang up on the crotch strap, really no biggie.

Also keep in mind that every lbs of ballast you move from a weight belt to your rig increases the weight that the wing must support at the surface if you ditch it. having all your ballast on your rig may require a larger wing than if you split up the ballast between a belt and your rig. It also makes your rig a real "nugget" to shift around.

Tobin

That is a good point Tobin. BTW, I ordered some of those thumb wheel's from you. Excellent. Makes me wish I had ordered one of your wings. I will will have to wait till I move up to doubles. :)

I'm sure the pouches work fine. I'd recommend sticking with a conventional weight belt. They are cheap and universally available.

Except that they are annoying with a harness if you have a lot of weight on there. Weights at the back foul on the backplate, weights on the right foul the lamp cannister. Anything more than about 8 lbs on a weight belt and I'd consider another solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom