my first gear purchase!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquarianna:
Hilary- I don't quite understand what you mean by using a backplate...don't all bc's have one? Or maybe I'm just more confused than I know :wink:

I'm sorry, when I said BP/W I just assumed you knew that was common abbreviation for BackPlate & Wings.

This is different from a BC backing. A traditional BC may have a hard or soft pack but it's all one single piece of equipment. A BP/W is a component setup where each component can be selected and replaced separately. The backplate itself is just a piece of metal with holes and slots drilled into it. The harness is webbing that threads through the slots and holds the backplate onto your back. The wings are the buoyance bladder that bolt onto the backplate. Also attached to the backplate are the cam straps for single tank or cam bands for doubles.

See this site for some pictures. The advantages of BP/W is that the buoyancy is on your back, your arms move more freely, you lose the weight belt or much of the weight in it, and you have firmer tank support. Backplates can be aluminum or stainless steel. Some people have both, switching out the plate depending on type of dive. Some people have two wings, one for single tank and one for doubles. You can create many configurations by changing out components.

Haha, ok- I just gotta get used to the jargon around here!

ide recommend the scubapro MK17/ G250 reg set up, great breather, extremely durable, and is a good cold water breather. As for wings, check out oxycheq and give pat a call he will answer every question you could possibly have. Do some searches in the computer section for suunto comps, oceanic, and uwatec, comps. Good luck!

Aquarianna:
Well, with that said, I'll make sure to get a nitrox compatable computer.

The big decision is whether to get a wrist model or console model. I use both for redundancy. There are pros and cons to both, do some research and get different opinions. The only thing guaranteed is that whatever one you choose, you will ultimately prefer the other.:D

I would look for user replaceable batteries, which except for a few new models knocks out Uwatec (ScubaPro). They are great computers but I don't like being tied to the dealer or manufacturer, having to send it off to get a new battery. Also, their "free batteries for life" program only lasts as long as they support that model.

Other features to look for are back lighting, PC downloading (if you intend to use dive log software), nitrox support, easy to press buttons (while wearing gloves), and an uncluttered primary display with BIG NUMBERS.

I like Suunto, a Vyper or Vytec would be a good entry model. Mares M1 (Dacor Darwin) is another inexpensive entry model.

www.scubatoys.com for regs computers masks fins basic item--authorized dealer w/mfg warrany Have purchased reg from these guys with 2 matching 2nd stages, wet suit, computer fins safety gear and been very very happy every time I call. Most of the time when I have called I have ended up talking with one of their emps, but have also talked to one of the owners Joe a number of times. No matter who I talk to, I get great service from people who know what they are talking about. A time or two I have called and asked a question that the guy on the other end didn't know and have always been told when that happens, that I don't know but will find the answer and they always do find the answer rather than shoot me some BS. I can't even begin to say how happy I am with the way they treat me as a customer. My first order to them as for 2 sets of cheap fins for my newphews to play in the pool. Total order $51 after my 10% scuba board member discount and the shipping added. I got the same level of service for the tiny order that I got for all the larger ticket items that I purchased later on.

www.leisurepro.com for mask fins basic items-- grey market with in house warranty LP seems to be having some web troubles and I can log onto the site this morning. Hopefully it will be up soon

www.golemgear.com for back plate and wing
www.deepseasupply.com for back plate and wing
Both of these guys make a fine product and I would be happy to dive either one. I went with Jakub at Golem because he was having fantastic sale before Christmas. If I wasn't a standard size, i would have gone with Tobin at Deep Sea Supply as he has a range of back plate sizes for large or small people. Their prices are within a few dollars of one another and if you want a bp/w you really couldn't go wrong with either of these guys from a cost/ quality/ performance standpoint. They both make excellent gear and have excellent service.

Back
Top Bottom