My First Go At Underwater Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brand0n

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Worst Pictures i have EVER taken. first time taking pictures underwater and they came out very bad. heres a link to view them all. Please tell me what im doing wrong, Thanks
http://www.twofour.org/pics/Sept 29 York Harbour Dive/

00900009.JPG

It looks like you're using film?

Which camera are you using?

What camera did you shoot with? Focal length looks fixed and it looks like you used an internal flash causing backscatter. Just guessing.

It worked before... Now it's not.

There it is... I get a directory listing with filenames.

I clicked the links in the directory.

I get a dead page....I shorten the link to the origin and get nothing

The link works for me...

Without knowing what camera you're using we can only guess, but I agree with SeaYoda, it looks like a fixed focus film camera with an internal flash. These aren't the best camera's, but with practice and an understanding of the camera's limitations you can get better results for sure.

Fixed focus means that the camera can't focus closer or further than what it was designed for. Now, far usually isn't a problem, but close is and it shows in a few of the shots you took. Try staying 4-6 feet away from what you're shooting or it'll turn out blurry (if you post the camera make/model we can tell you more precisely how close you can get). In some cases there are macro lenses you can use with the camera to allow you to take close-ups. Again, we need to know what kind of camera you have before we can tell you if this is a possibility for you...

An internal flash causes "backscatter", which are those white spots all over the pics (like the one you attached in your first post). This can be corrected by eliminating the need for the flash (diving in clearer, shallower water with more natural light available), using an external flash (we can tell you if one is available for your camera as soon as we know what you're using or a cheaper solution would be illuminating the subject with a flashlight or other external light), or if you dive in clearer water you'll get less backscatter and may be able to remove what's there with software (after scanning it if you are using film).

Other than that it's just experimentation and practice.

-Erica

Disclaimer: I'm a photography hobbiest on land, but haven't used anything more than a disposable camera underwater and even then only in shallow water. To the "regulars" -if anything I said was wrong, please correct me. I've been doing a lot of research on UW photography while trying to figure out the best camera setup myself, so the info above is from research, not practical knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom