My first time with the A95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A fresh 512 mb card is good for 605 seconds of video or 283 full size photos on my A95. Haven't tried it with other card sizes - your mileage may vary.

Kapula's got the right technique for custom white balance (if you want a better solution than the underwater setting). I use my slate and it works great!

Love the A95

I just got back from florida with my S70. I didn't have a strobe and didn't use the flash but had issues with over exposure the first dive. I checked the board here and tried the recomended settings I found and the pictures where almost pure white set manually. Over the next 2 dives I got my exposure set great and took many pictures. I believe my settings were at 1/320 Ap., 5.3-8 for Fstop, UW white balance and ISO 400 in 50-80ft of ocean. Pictures came out great. I have a 2gb Microdrive for it and took over 250 pictures and 5 30sec movies. You can view my photos at http://cmc.mine.nu/scuba/Florida0705/Smaller/

looking good! Once you get bitten by the camera bug all is lost :D

Hope you don't mind, I played with one of your pictures. Now I am not sure what the true color is but I'm just trying to show you how much you can do with you pictures if you use PS...sorry if the colors are way off.

justleesa:
looking good! Once you get bitten by the camera bug all is lost :D

Hope you don't mind, I played with one of your pictures. Now I am not sure what the true color is but I'm just trying to show you how much you can do with you pictures if you use PS...sorry if the colors are way off.

I think it looks great and I never mind about stuff like that! I've been using Photoshop and Paintshop Pro for a long time, but I've never been a photographer so I used them for art and web design only. I wasn't sure what I should make it look like other than: Remove particulation and get rid of blue/green of the water. So I decided to just leave it alone for now. I like the way you made the picture look, the colors for a bass seem right to me, but I'm just going on old fishin' memories, hehe.

The water at Lake Rawlings had a layer of green goop or algae stuff, and at depth the water looked a hazy green. I wasn't comfortable enough to play with white balance at the time, so I just went with the A95's "underwater" setting.

Hopefully on my trip to Roatan with my LDS (which is a photo heavy group), I'll be able to get some clear blue water pics to play with and learn. Our dive leader for the trip is a service tech at the shop but he's their resident photo guru and has his pictures in various magazines.

Im looking at buying the A- 95 and want to know who has one how they like it pros and cons and what kind of housing they have for it, where they got the housing and the price $$$ range for it.... how well does it work underwater in the housing ease of operation and picture quality,, any web links would be nice

I have the A95 and i love it..it's a great camera for the price. I also have the canon housing for it. It's a fairly simple housing. I also have the inon w/a lens and inon strobe for it. it does take great pictures for the camera and price of it. i had the A70 and upgraded it to the A95. you won't regret it.

yipiekaya:
Im looking at buying the A- 95 and want to know who has one how they like it pros and cons and what kind of housing they have for it, where they got the housing and the price $$$ range for it.... how well does it work underwater in the housing ease of operation and picture quality,, any web links would be nice

I just started using mine, and haven't taken many pictures yet. So I'll go through your questions:

Pros:
5 megapixel (or is it 5.1)
Rotating lcd screen (not in housing of course) so you can take pics of yourself
Uses Compact Flash cards which are fairly common and inexpensive.
There are add-ons for it like strobe and lens if you decide upgrade in the future.
Uses 4-AA batteries, again easy to find and cheap.

Cons:
I think it's manual controls are limited but I'm not a photography expert. It does have a manual white balance which I hear is important.

Housing: I have the official Canon housing for it. The model # is WP-DC50.

How well it works?: It worked great underwater. I took it down without testing it and it worked like a charm, not one drop in it as deep as 50 feet. The great thing about the housing is that ALL the buttons and features are usuable while in the housing.

Where did I purchase?: I got mine from a shop on amazon.com, it was the second cheapest one in their listing. Around $260 USD if I remember right.

Weblinks: As for weblinks, just click on Alcina's name and read all her posts. She usually answers all the questions about the Canon cameras, and she likes the A95. Most of your questions and more photo expert advice type stuff can be found under her posts (and others here). I do like www.digideep.com which lists all the cameras with their features, if they have housings and links to buy them.

Chris...I am a bit confused when you say the manual controls are limited - can you tell me which are missing?

IMHO you should have shutter & aperture control and white balance control at a minimum. Other shooting modes (such as portrait, sports etc) don't count as manual control really, but sometimes you can cheat with them! My A75 also has aperture priority and shutter priority options. Doesn't the A95?

Love to hear about what's missing as in the times I've dealt with this system I didn't notice!! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom