My first trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those little swarming wiggly wormy things ( I have to find the name of them one of these days) can be a lot of fun. Try holding your light still next to a coral head and see how many of them get eaten by the coral. Especially the brain corals. They look really hairy at night and those little tentacles are hungry. Sometimes when they catch a worm it looks like the worm actually pops! The later in the evening the more of those warms show but more in the summertime then winter.

Hey John. Enjoyed reading your "Coz" account and looking at the pics. We should have had a VW race there. But your Dragon Wagon was awsome. Slow but awesome.

Ed

Folks, Ed (& his lovely wife Debby) was on the trip. One of around 25 (give or take) people from Broadway Divers of NY that went to Cozumel. I told him about Scubaboard somewhere in Mexico (or maybe Atlanta)
Welcome Ed, glad you liked the shots. I have around 1,000 others!

If you liked the experience and the diving even with a cattle boat and a not so great night dive (95ft on a night dive??? Most won't take you anywhere that deep at night, or on a wall dive), next trip choose one of the smaller dive operations with the fast boats (max of 6-8 divers per boat), and try and get a night dive at Paradise Reef. Paradise really comes alive at night. Never disappoints.
It was my 20th dive. My first night dive, and 3 days prior I had never been deeper than 55 ft! But, the dive was supposed to be only to 65 feet. My experienced buddy missed the reef!

That was probably Villablanca Wall; it's right behind Blue Angel (where I stay), and I see boats and lights at night out there occasionally. Those "bugs" were most likely tiny shrimp; were they reddish looking?
I have no clue, and those things may have been shrimp. They were too fast to see.

Your trip sounded great and the picture are awesome. I'm going to Cozumel in Feb. We are staying at the Cozumel Palace and diving with Aqua World. What sites did you dive?
I have a friend who goes to Coz every year. Not even for the diving, but he stays at the palace and loves it.
We dove... lets see how good my memory is (& lets not talk about my spelling)
Santa Rosa wall
something tinish
Columbia deep
Columbia shallow

Maybe Ed can help with the rest.
Those first 2 were nothing short of spectacular!

It was my 20th dive. My first night dive, and 3 days prior I had never been deeper than 55 ft! But, the dive was supposed to be only to 65 feet. My experienced buddy missed the reef!

I have no clue, and those things may have been shrimp. They were too fast to see.

I have a friend who goes to Coz every year. Not even for the diving, but he stays at the palace and loves it.
We dove... lets see how good my memory is (& lets not talk about my spelling)
Santa Rosa wall
something tinish
Columbia deep
Columbia shallow

Maybe Ed can help with the rest.
Those first 2 were nothing short of spectacular!

The best dives in my mind in order:

Punta Sur-Devils Throat. Thrilling with the dive throughs.
Santa Rosa Wall. Tunnels, huge green morey and coral heads.
Punta Tunich. Tons of big animals, very passive. Did this twice.
Columbia Reef. Large Coral Towers and swim throughs.
Paraiso. Close with tons of lobster, king crabs, enormous groupers and passive angel fish and parrotfish. Did this twice also.
Yucab was a great off-gas with nurse sharks.
Columbia shallows was another great off-gas. Bright and great for photos.
Cedral was nice.
Tormentos was ok.
Bolones of Chakanab was ok.
Villa Blanca was disappointing. Espescially the night dive. I followed you guys and was at 106 before going to the 60' sand plains.

The best dives in my mind in order:

Punta Sur-Devils Throat. Thrilling with the dive throughs.
Santa Rosa Wall. Tunnels, huge green morey and coral heads.
Punta Tunich. Tons of big animals, very passive. Did this twice.
Columbia Reef. Large Coral Towers and swim throughs.
Paraiso. Close with tons of lobster, king crabs, enormous groupers and passive angel fish and parrotfish. Did this twice also.
Yucab was a great off-gas with nurse sharks.
Columbia shallows was another great off-gas. Bright and great for photos.
Cedral was nice.
Tormentos was ok.
Bolones of Chakanab was ok.
Villa Blanca was disappointing. Espescially the night dive. I followed you guys and was at 106 before going to the 60' sand plains.

Back
Top Bottom