My First UW Camera!!! S90-Ike-s2000-UWL-04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You really should not need to switch to Manual Underwater, and keep in mind that in M mode, there is no preflash and the Inon will work differently (I haven't played w/ M enough to know all the details).

Canon advanced P&S

1. Program (P, semi-sux)--always preflashes
2. Auto (which sux) always preflashes
3. Av/Tv have selectable preflash or no preflash. No preflash when Manual strobe is selected under Menu
4. Manual mode, no preflash

Inon (*S)/D2000

A. Inon strobes expect a preflash always in sTTL and no matter if the magnet switch is in or out, sTTL overrides.

B. Inon strobes in External Auto can be set for preflash or no preflash depending on magnet position, magnet in, no preflash expected, magnet out, preflash expected.

*Inon S2000 does not have an External Auto mode

N

Keep it AV, I never had to change mine.

Keep in mind you also have Exposure Compensation to play with, so if a picture is under exposed to what you think it should be, set EV to +1/3,etc.. till you get it right...rather than go into M mode and try and get it correct that way.

You have to use (S) as a shift key, plus left or right rear control button, with the ikelite housing to adjust EV.
Play around with the camera in the housing till you get the feel for doing this.

You can also put the Inon in Manual mode and play around with different flash strengths. That is a lot of trial and error, But when I was shooting a lobster under a ledge it was necessary.

And if you shoot RAW, which you should, you can also always adjust exposure in photoshop/dpp afterward.

Good stuff...Thx all! Personally I always shoot RAW and have a lot of PS skills. The primary reason I bought this camera is because it supports RAW. I'll be sure to practice changing EV and will keep the histogram on. Thx again for the tips...it really helps as I do want to make the most of my first light imaging...

Chris
Imaging The Cosmos

I don't have my housing yet, but after playing with the camera a bit it looks like I can change the EV with the ring around the lens...if I'm not mistaken I have control over this with the Ike housing...would this not be a simpler approach? or do folks use this ring for ISO or some other feature?

I don't have my housing yet, but after playing with the camera a bit it looks like I can change the EV with the ring around the lens...if I'm not mistaken I have control over this with the Ike housing...would this not be a simpler approach? or do folks use this ring for ISO or some other feature?

I spent a good amount of time today at Best Buy playing with an S90 and was thinking the same thing.

Those of you with Canon or Ike housings what function do you typically have assigned to the front ring?

You guys with the Ike will have to switch back and forth I am afraid between ring functions. N

I use the front ring function for ISO.
I prefer to use the Shift method for setting EV, but thats me.

ps. I got the Ikelite before the FIX was available, if starting over I'd seriously consider the FIX.

You guys with the Ike will have to switch back and forth I am afraid between ring functions. N

I wish I could afford the Fix...oh well...

I just don't see the big deal...maybe because I haven't been spoiled yet...seems to me ya set the S90 to AV mode, set the ISO to 100 or 200, set the dial to EV and get wet and take some pics..maybe change EV if the histo clips...pretty simple...

just kidding all, lmao, as I tell my kid, son that ain't fishin, that's wishin...

seriously, does one change aperture, ISO or speed that often when diving with a P&S rig like this?

I use the front ring function for ISO.
I prefer to use the Shift method for setting EV, but thats me.

I should probably hold my q for this till after I get my housing...but you can press the Ring Function button using the Ike, right? Sorry, all this seems so simple compared to my 7D I just don't see the big deal...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom