My new Uemis SDA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to hear more about the battery life on this - the next generation of computers with the OLED screens are all rechargeable, daily, weekly type scenarios.

This is a huge difference than replacing a battery once every few years.

Though incredibly sweet, I'm just concerned that you'll need to recharge this thing EVERY night, which could be a problem when traveling internationally, and adds to the list of possible things that could go wrong.

I'm just curious how many days it can go without being plugged in, can you go on indefinitely, provided it's out in the sun all day?

I'd say a typical 2 tank day your probably out in the sun during SI/transit maybe 2-3 hours, would this be sufficient to maintain level charge for the 1.5 to 2 hours of 2 tank diving that day?

A Liquivision X1 with the latest V-Planner software can typically last for a month without recharging it, if you dive twice a week. Up to 40 hours of diving on a single charge.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Nice computer man, but that is way more then what I need. I would just like the ability to download more programs as I progress. I don't need ccr or tri-mix just, nitrox. Also I'm willing to pay alittle more to help move computers in the direction of the Zurich, Icon HD and your computer. Looks like yours is more targeted to "tech". The size and userability of your computer is nice plus the OLED display is THE way. Not a good match for me, Zurich so far is has what I'm looking for. The only beef I have with the Zurich is not being able to log dives on my own computer, instead of the internet.

What is wrong with the people on this board? Forum manners much? Liquidvision X1 congratulations on a very douche threadjack . Your product, though very nice, clearly addresses a different market.

Mintaka, if you have the opportunity on a multi-day dive trip, could you report on multi-day battery life? Using only the solar panel? Can it sustain itself solely on solar power?

Manufacturer claimed battery life, and real world performance are rarely the same.

Thanks for your help, and being an early adopter for the rest of us.

So far I have had the Zurich on a 2 day,(7 long dives , 6 hour bottom time) trip, but I did plug it into my computer for recharging, although it still had plenty of battery life left. Next week we are scheduled for a week in Curacao and I'll try using only the solar panel just for kicks !

Funky556-- I know that there is at least one third party person working on some local logging software that will be compatible for the Zurich. That said, its not currently available. I've also been told that the Uemis internet site will be undergoing a complete makeover.
I also have a Suunto Vytec DS , which has local logging software. Like you, I prefer the local approach, but its not at all a big deal. So far the Zurich has been excellent and I'm totally hooked on it !
I'll report back after our trip next week.

I'm back from my week in Curacao. We made 16 dives in six days and the Uemis SDA worked absolutely perfectly each and every dive. I tried to use only the solar panels, but I dont think that they were keeping up with my usage and I didnt want to let the battery go too low. I do have the screen brightness turned up pretty high (80%). The battery indicator has 5 bars, after the first 7 dives (bottom times ~ 50min) and some playing with the divelog (entering buddies, site names, etc) and looking at the profiles in the divelog, the indicator was at 3 bars, so I did charge it using the usb connection on my laptop. I had it in the sun as much as possible.
I'm not sure how much extra "juice" I'm using by having the screen turned up or by the playing around with it, so I'm not sure its fair to say that the solar wouldn't keep up if one just did diving and no playing. Also, there is an extra screen in dive mode that displays your current average air consumption and I looked at this often.
One thing I wish the SDA had was a simulation or plan mode so you could see what your NDL times would for the next dive after some SI. My back up is a Vytec, so I just used that for checking the plan. Not that it really matters, I always run out of air before NDL anyways :(

Just read the last couple postings and I thought I give a little update on the Uemis SDA.
The OLED technology is completely different then the ones used for example with the Mares. The Uemis only needs electricity to illuminate the green, orange and red colour, the black colour does not need any energy. Why is this important? Battery life. The battery has a two year warrenty but is expected ( due to previous tests ) do operate fine for at least 5 years.
The Solar Panel actually does charge the battery very efficent. 2 hours of charging equal about 1 hour of dive time ( water temp around 50 Fahrenheit ).
The new software update ( available during the synchronization process ) also includes the imperial units now for all applications.
The unit at the moment is a multigas computer that can calculate up to 3 different Nitrox mixes up to 100%.
The full Trimix version is undergoing some tests and our plans for the North American Market is that it will be available in Spring 2010. Existing users can upgrade to the Trimix version via the synchronisation process.
The comments about the pre-dive planning are appreciated and we will look into it.
If there are any more questions, I will gladly answer them.

Michael Gerhartz
Ocean Equipment
Trainer for Uemis SDA

I received my new Uemis yesterday evening. The display is excellent, a few things I do wish it had is 1: dive planned 2: Dive simulator and finally 3: digital compass. I'm also getting my Shearwater Pursuit upgraded to the Oled screen. These old eyes love these screens. I'm going to dive the Uemis on Monday for the first time. I'm looking forward to actually seeing the "dive screen"

Back
Top Bottom