My new Uemis SDA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I dived my new Uemis yesterday (60' for 60 minutes) and I gotta tell you this OLED is the way to go. Everything was easy to read and the computer is amazingly easy to set-up. My only gripe is that I can't (or don't know how to ) up-load onto my 'puter. I up-loaded onto the MyUemis site but everythings in metric with no way to change to Imperial. I understand that there will be a free upgrade to tri-mix early in the new year. This will be great. Love to hear anyone elses comments on the Uemis

Just read the last couple postings and I thought I give a little update on the Uemis SDA.
The OLED technology is completely different then the ones used for example with the Mares. The Uemis only needs electricity to illuminate the green, orange and red colour, the black colour does not need any energy. Why is this important? Battery life. The battery has a two year warrenty but is expected ( due to previous tests ) do operate fine for at least 5 years.
The Solar Panel actually does charge the battery very efficent. 2 hours of charging equal about 1 hour of dive time ( water temp around 50 Fahrenheit ).
The new software update ( available during the synchronization process ) also includes the imperial units now for all applications.
The unit at the moment is a multigas computer that can calculate up to 3 different Nitrox mixes up to 100%.
The full Trimix version is undergoing some tests and our plans for the North American Market is that it will be available in Spring 2010. Existing users can upgrade to the Trimix version via the synchronisation process.
The comments about the pre-dive planning are appreciated and we will look into it.
If there are any more questions, I will gladly answer them.

Michael Gerhartz
Ocean Equipment
Trainer for Uemis SDA

How about a full conversion to Imperial units? I keep seeing complaints that this or that feature is still in metric... has this been resolved yet?

Any chance of a gauge mode in this system?

Love the idea, but there are a few niggles that are stopping me still...

Got my hands on one recently, and i must say it's a very nice piece of kit.

I have now downloaded the latest up grade 1.10 which appears to have addressed the tank volume issue. Things are slowly getting on track. My buddies and I cannot get the SDA's to read each other but apparently they're working on it. I'll keep you posted.

The SDA calculates the SAC based on the settings you provide the computer. In your dive settings, you set the tank size ( 104 CUFT in this case, or 208 if you are diving them as doubles ) The tank transmitter reads the actual air pressure and calculates you SAC based on those two information ( tank size, which you enter as well as actual air pressure)

Michael

The issue is it must use something as a baseline to determine the ACTUAL gas volume in the cylinder, not just what is entered in tank size.

For example I can carry an aluminum 80 on 3 different dives with 3 different pressures. Let's assume that on each dive I breathe the cylinder empty.

Let's also assume that each dive the tank size is entered as an aluminum 80 in the uemis.

Each dive will be in 33ftsw while resting on a platform.

Dive 1 - 3000psi start 0psi finish - 90 minutes
Dive 2 - 2000psi start 0psi finish - 60 minutes
Dive 3 - 1000psi start 0psi finish - 30 minutes

If the uemis assumes each cylinder has 80cuft it will return 3 different sac rates, when in reality the sac was the same, just 3 different amounts of gas to be consumed.

I guess my point is that in order for the uemis to give an accurate sac rate in cuft per minute, it needs to know how many cubic feet was in the cylinder, and I do not see an entry for that, like I have in my other AI computers that compute my sac rate. I understand it has tank size, but that has little to do with the actual volume of gas present.

If for example I were to fill an aluminum 80 to 4000psi(obviously I would not do this, just trying to show an example), the actual cuft of gas in the cylinder would be 108cuft. So, should I enter 108 into tank size to get an accurate sac reading? If it only had 1500psi, should I enter 40 into tank size? If so, the manual should be amended to input actual gas volume not tank size. And this would require calculating actual volume based on the current fill before every dive, and then inputing it.

Marc

Marc,

Michael answered this in the post above.

The sda knows the tank size because you told it what you're using.

The transmittter knows the pressure so it should be able calculate the initial gas quantity and can therefore work out your sac rate.

That's my take on it anyway!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom