My newbie brother-in-law

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A third party can sometimes work wonders with some people. So ask a local instructor to do a sit down with you and your B-I-L. For many people it is easier to take criticism from a disinterested "expert" then from your sister's husband. Egos remain in tact, the message gets passed, and your opinions are backed up with authority.
Just my 2Cs.

I don't know where you live but can't you take him on some local dives to improve his skills before you go on vacation.

Go on an easy night dive in your local area (if possible) until he is more comfortable. It's hard to get much experience with just a few dives a year.

We live in New York and are both warm water wusses, although Dutch Springs during the summer is do-able.

He didn't go for my suggestion of AOW class locally during the summer either and I'm not comfortable diving with him alone.

After his night dive panic I believe he is afraid to do a night dive. Even during the day he does not look comfortable in the water, always moving his arms and legs never being still.

I plan on confronting him and basically tell him he needs additional training to be safe. I will also discuss things with the instructor/dive operator we are using. If he won't take my advice he better take the instructors.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

When I went to Cozumel accompanied by a friend with a new paper C-card, I told the DM about this, and what I'd seen of her in the water :geek: the first time she tried to qualify. The boat was lightly loaded, and he held her hand for both dives, with me tagging along.

The boat was full the next morning, so we hired her a private DM for the next four dives. Well worth it! :$: Your bud-in-law may not like a DM of the same gender holding his hand, but you could still hire one as his buddy, leaving you to tag alone, or seek a better boat-pick.

Who has to pay for the DM? He should, but if you have to - it's worth it. You're already spending over $200 per dive overall to be there and dive, and family politics will not exuse you from his diving, so it'd be better than having a bad dive, or worse - losing an in-law in your implied care. :drown:

:cheers: don

Back
Top Bottom