My Newbie Equipment List of stuff to get after I get certified.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

p1p

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
1> Whites Fusion Tech Skin Dry Suit
2> Zeagle Express tech BCD. (With Weight bags)
3> Suunto Zoop Dive Computer (well, maybe this should be #2)

Still havent figured out Regs yet, so much has changed since my military dive days...

Any thoughts, insights, or opinions on any of the above are welcome

I think Sherwood has good durable regulators and first stage that will last you a long time properly serviced, without too many bells and whistles. My wife is partial to the Oasis. There are many options, and the kind of diving you will do most of the time is a factor in your selection. If you are going to be in colder water, like Puget Sound, you will want a regulator that has some adjustment options for those conditions, which the Sherwood Oasis does not. Your best insight will come from experienced divers who dive in conditions similar to those in which you will dive the most. Also, check around for a dive show or convention in your area.(we are having one here later this month) where multiple manufacturers have a presence. Finally, Sport Diver Magazine and California Diver magazine have excellent equipment features each month.
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

I dive my Mk.17 / A700 under the ice, it is rock solid for cold water. Combine that with an A395 as an octo and you should be good in any conditions. I have also heard good things about Apeks regs and the mares Abyss. just consider an environmentally sealed diaphram if you are diving cold water.

As for the dry suit, many people love the whites fusion, many people also hate it, so give a few different styles a try before buying one. I am partial to compressed neoprene as it keeps me warmer and does not bunch up.

If you are going to get a zeagle express tec consider just going for a BP&W, it will free up some capital for your other gear purchases.

I was attracted to the Zeagle Express because I'm kind of a minimalist. Plus the travel capability as well.

I'll be doing Pacific Northwest Dives, but also tropics, so versatility is key. I know there's no one size fits all, but there
is a one size fits most. (wrt gear) :)

I like the Whites because of fit, and packs small as well. Same for the Zeagle Express tech.

Jeff, considering you're planning for a dry suit, make sure the Zeagle has enough lift for you. (Dry suits often require extra lead, and thereby extra lift in a BC.) Here's a great link for determining what you'll need as far as lift capacity: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ems/158370-ultimate-wing-lift-calculator.html

I believe the ET has a 28 pound lift standard, but you can get a larger bladder. I know people use it with dry suits, but it won't hurt to be sure it's the right option for you.

From reading through the board, general consensus appears to be to go with 30 or 35, not the stock 24. Just the added flexibility of a bigger bladder. I'll check your link, thx!

Good choices all. The Express Tech should offer plenty of room around the waist for fit with the suit. For the reg, Sherwood is a great choice. I used to be their Technical Support director for some years and still dive with my Oasis. Another manufacturer I'd look into is Atomic. The Z2X is in around the similar price category and would work fantastically in Puget Sound or anywhere else you may travel.

Last edited:
I'm kind of starting to rethink a few things.

While I'd rather have a shell type dry suit, the Neoprene suits are more durable, fixed easier etc. So downside is more weight, more space. Leaning towards the SeaSoft dry suit (3mm) my local LDS has. I like the 3mm as can use in tropics water, and layer thicker for cold PNW waters.

Dive Computer. Originally I was gonna go wrist, but now I'm thinking console. With console, can I go air integrated? Not sure how that all works. But console anyways would have computer, compass, and analog air pressure gauge. Attached to BCD with a retractor.

BCD: My local LDS showed me a ScubaPro Knighthawk, which I really liked. I like the cumberbund, for weight carrying on shore, plus helps keep the tank down lower,instead of crotch straps. Lots of lift, for cold water dives in the PNW. Plus I love the Air 2 option, to avoid having an octo. (ok, can go on any BCD, but I like not having an Octo)

Regs: one LDS is a Cressi Dealer, so wants that (Titanium),, Other is a ScubaPro dealer, and suggested the MK17, or I think Mark 25?

I don't know any drysuit divers that take a neoprene drysuit on warm water dive trips. Perhaps they exist somewhere.
Shell drysuits are really popular for a reason. They're lightweight, and they dry quickly.
I'd recommend demo-ing any drysuit before purchasing it.
I'd make the same recommendation for all of your other scuba gear as well -- try before you buy.

Try a wrist computer before buying a console-style one. FYI, some computers, like the Zoop you mentioned earlier, can be mounted either on the wrist or in a console. It's your choice.

The Scubapro Knighthawk is a great weight-integrated rear-inflate BCD. Scubapro customer service is wonderful.
That being said, if you've never used a BC with a crotchstrap, you don't know what you're missing. It's really nice having the tank + BC anchored securely to one's back -- and that's exactly what a crotchstrap does so well.

As for the Air2 gadget, do me a favor. Practice an air-sharing ascent with it before you buy it...and compare the experience to conducting an air-sharing ascent with a regular primary + octo setup (or whatever reg setup you were trained to use). Pay attention to what it's like being the air donor and air recipient.

Since you're diving in fairly cold water, it might make sense to get a first stage that's environmentally sealed. Lots of brands and models of regs have this feature (Scubapro MK17 is one of them). If you want to save a few bucks, select a robust, mid-range reg...no need to get anything top of the line.

The SeaSoft DrySuit is a 3mm drysuit, so probably not a suit for warm tropical waters, but versatile for most other places, depending where I go.

I do like the shell type suits, but I guess I'm balancing how many times I'll use the suit traveling, versus more local. Traveling maybe 1 time per year to warm tropical waters. Local more often. (at least west coast,including California and Oregon). Plus repair if I'm in a land far-far away.

As for the Air2, I understand, its not optimal. But its an emergency use item, versus another christmas tree ornament to carry around the other 99% of the time. But I'll have to try it first, as you suggest.

thx!

Back
Top Bottom