My Newbie Equipment List of stuff to get after I get certified.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff, the inner monologue you've had with yourself just in this thread is a good indication of what I think you should do -- which is demo, demo and demo before buying gear. There are a ton of options and quite frankly most of them *would* work, but finding the right gear just for you is (at least it should be) a time intensive process. For example, before plunking down $1-3k on a drysuit, what about trying out DUI or Bare's? Same with the BC's ... you can have all the statistics you want (lift capacity, etc.) but at the end of the day you want the one that feels the best, works with your loadout of gear the best, etc. I remember when I bought my first BC (that I still use and love) I thought I would go the Zeagle route until I played in the pool for an hour with it and went with an Oceanic Excursion instead. Also, personally for drysuit diving I think a BP/W wins the comfort battle hands down but your milleage may vary. Either way, before you plunk down the cash get as close to 100% comfortable with the decision as you can be ... there's 1,100+ posts here that speaks to the importance of doing that.

Aim for buying the gear that not only will you be happy with now, but 50, 100, 200 dives from now you'll be even happier with it.

Any Oceanic or TUSA reg will do you well. They are amazing quality

Any more it seems like I dive in my swim trunks or in my dry suit.
I have a 5 mil dry suit, in summer if I'm diving in cool water I will just wear shorts and a T shirt under the dry suit.....as the weather and water get colder I add more layers, thermal underwear, etc....

I have been diving for about 20 years.....I have always use a Sherwood Blizzard reg.....from under the ice and to the tropics.

I was attracted to the Zeagle Express because I'm kind of a minimalist. Plus the travel capability as well.

I'll be doing Pacific Northwest Dives, but also tropics, so versatility is key. I know there's no one size fits all, but there
is a one size fits most. (wrt gear) :)

I like the Whites because of fit, and packs small as well. Same for the Zeagle Express tech.
Ah, those are good justifications.

If you are going with the Express Tech I'd 86 the Air II and go for a long hose with bungee back up. You will also need to add 3 or 4 d rings to ET. When I say long hose I don't necessarily mean a 7ft. For single tank diving a 5ft is fine and routes cleanly. Compared to the Air II the reg configuration I just noted will seem like nothing. The Air II is clunky in comparison. IMO. As for brands I'd recommend HOG or Edge. For strictly travel the Epic is the shizzel. Small, light weight, and compact. It is also a sealed diaphragm and is the same as the HOG D2 except for the finish. The Epic set up is a conventional one as far as hose lengths go but if you properly store the octo in a holder there is no clutter or stuff hanging.

For travel and local diving the HOG D-1 is my choice. I use a 7ft hose. The only issue you may run into with the HOG regs is they are DIN only so you'd need a yoke adapter. The HOG single tank kit comes with one and the price is the same or less for the whole set up than for just a 1st and 2nd of many other comparable regs. All you'd need add is a HP hose and SPG and that can be done for much less than most people think. Think just over 500 bucks for a COMPLETE reg set up. Not for just a 1st and 2nd and a hose that is likely the wrong length. That goes for either the Epic or HOG. Pm me for details.

Express Tech Review here with photos of my own set up: Zeagle Express Tech Buoyancy Compensator Review

I don't know any drysuit divers that take a neoprene drysuit on warm water dive trips. Perhaps they exist somewhere.
My fiancee used a neoprene suit in a 80 degree water. It was unintentional, our travel guide kept telling us that the best choice for diving in malpelo was in a drysuit. She actually loved to dive dry, it wasn't an issue. But she fells cold very easily, not really the average person.

Back on topic. I would choose a BP/W. It is very simple, you don't have to stick with a brand, easy to repair. If you travel a lot you can take a aluminum BP.

I've become a little wary of the Sherwoods following problems I had with two SR-1 second stages. I found both a little, "sticky," for lack of a better term, on the performance adjustment. Initially, I could go through the full range of adjustment and not have them free flow, and on occasion they would go part way through the adjustment and start free flowing. At a minimum, after each day of diving, I rinse them, while pressurized, and hang dry. When I'm not in such a hurry, I let the pressurized stage sit in a bucket of water for a half hour or so. When not having the problem I mentioned, they have can be fine tuned to requiring almost no inhalation effort which I really like.

I dive primarily with an Apeks XTX-100 and it has performed without fail. I like the way the Sherwoods breathed but, I like the Apeks better. If you go Apeks, the differences between the XTX-50, XTX-100 and XTX-200 second stages are largely cosmetic with the internals being the same. They do come with different first stages. I selected the one with the XTX-100 for its solid one piece body which, intuitively I would think to be the most reliable. My nephew just bought a Mares Abyss 42, which I'm looking forward to trying out. As I understand the Abyss 42 is the nearly same as the Abyss 22 Navy, however the Abyss 22 Navy has a different finish, and better cold water diving performance characteristics. Were I aware of the Abyss line when I bought my Apeks, I would have given it series consideration.

I think the Zoop will serve you just fine and do everything you need it to do. I don't see any need to spend more for recreational diving. I agree with Bubbletrubble on the trying the wrist version. I find it that a wrist computer is easier to monitor while doing an air sharing ascent. I'm for anything that leaves both hands free.

I've been a Zeagle fan for many years. I own a Zeagle Ranger LTD but rarely dive it anymore, simply because the ripcord weight system is not very conducive to weight removal demonstrations in training. For most diving, I've gone to a minimalist setup with a Hogarthian BP/W rig which was a little uncomfortable on dry land at first, but I've come to absolutely love in the water. The Express Tech has an attractive entry price, but once you've finished outfitting it to your liking, you may find you've spent just as much, or more than, as going with a preconfigured Dive-Rite, Halcyon, OMS, Oxycheq, or DSS BP/W setup to name a few. I've found Zeagle quality to be superb.

My Zeagle has a TUSA Duo which is similar to the Air 2. My mode has been to donate my primary and breathe off the Duo. I think it's unlikely that you'd both have ever have to share the Air 2. In order for that to happen, your buddy would have to be OOA and your primary second stage would have had to fail. I could be wrong, but that's the only scenario I see that would warrant sharing an Air 2. The Duo by the way, IMHO, is crap. The Air 2 and Duo both use a different size LP hose quick-disconnect than those used with standard inflators. Forgetting this fact has caused me and other people I dive with problems when borrowing/renting gear. My preference is for a quality octo which I donate first, not depriving myself of air by switching out the reg in my mouth.

I think the Zoop will serve you just fine and do everything you need it to do. I don't see any need to spend more for recreational diving. I agree with Bubbletrubble on the trying the wrist version. I find it that a wrist computer is easier to monitor while doing an air sharing ascent. I'm for anything that leaves both hands free.

First dive with my computer, (Veo 2.0) I wore it on my left wrist. Second one, I moved it to the right. Why? Because I quickly found that the use of my inflator interfered with info acquisition form the computer when it was on the same side. If you want to monitor depth from the computer while managing buoyancy with your BCD, better to do it on different sides. If your only info is in the console, it is on the same side. In addition, my console contains SPG, depth, and compass. If my wrist computer fails, I have the analogue depth gauge for backup, and vice versa.

Dive Computer. Originally I was gonna go wrist, but now I'm thinking console. With console, can I go air integrated? Not sure how that all works. But console anyways would have computer, compass, and analog air pressure gauge. Attached to BCD with a retractor.

I just took the retractor OFF of my console. I used it for 9 dives to give it a fair go, but the reality was that clipped to my upper left D-ring, I never had to extend the retractor. Just grab and reorient so I can see it. Of course, the retractor lock would get nudged and it would wind up extending and thus getting in the way. So I didn't need to extend it, and when it was extended it was a nuisance. Save your money, just clip it off with some kind of fixed clip arrangement.

My LDS hinted at issues with the Whites Fusion suits, yet I really havent found anything about them to the negative. Ok, "some" but not much.

If I swallow the Kool Aid, these suits are what I'm looking for (Mobility, ease of travel,etc).

I stopped today at another LDS that carried Whites and Bare Suits.

I'm glad I did.

I got a change to try on the Whites Bullet, and look at the newest Whites Bullet with Silicon Seals (and replaceable neck/wrist rings) as well as the new Bare SB series.

What a pair of nice suits.

I like the Whites for the Silicon seals, and easily replaceable without tools.(more or less). Its alittle harder to get on the Whites versus a normal dry suit. Once its on, its like glued to you. Its a strange feeling. You feel kinda like a baggie. Its just different. Not different good, nor different bad, just different. Mobility is awesome. (granted, no undergarment on).

Then I tried on the new Bare SB. Some kind of new moisture venting material, it goes on more like a regular wet suit. This suit had neoprene neck seals, and latex wrist seals. Not field replaceable like the Fusion. Feels more like a normal suit. Mobility was very good on the Bare, I would say equal to the Fusion.

The Whites Fusion weighs around 10 pounds, the Bare 7.5.

Now these observations were all dry, and no undergarments. The LDS is going to let me try each suit out.

I think managing the bubble will be easier on the Fusion, but LDS said it was about the same for each. Just air each enough to keep off the pressure.

So after I get certified I'm going to borrow each suit, and figure out which best suits (pun intended) me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom