My Next Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the cost of Tec diving that one cannot "dabble" with? I'm assuming gear.

Personally, I don't have the best gear out there but I dive $1500 regs on my $1000 set of doubles. I have about $500 tied up in my BP/W, $600 in my light, $1500 in my drysuit, $500 in my computer, $500 in my stage bottle and reg, and the list goes on. That's just a few of the big ticket items and I have bought some of mine used.

Rescue for sure ... it's the one class besides OW that I think all divers should have.

Only do DM if you have decided you want to work with students or on a dive boat ... it's less about diving skills than leadership skills, and if improving your diving skills is a goal you'll be better off going with a tech or intro to tech type of class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm probably going to do Rescue, Nitrox and then hopefully GUE-F with an eye to a GUE-R1 pass.

Devon, you now have me worried. What is the cost of Tec diving that one cannot "dabble" with? I'm assuming gear.

1. 4x set of regs (two for backmount, two for stages), with appropriate hoses.
2. BP&W or Sidemount rig.
3. 2x Dive Computers (mixed gas or as bottom timers).
4. A whole bunch of marine-grade stainless steel clips, snaps, sliders etc.
5. 2x stage rigging kits.
6. A decent high-capacity reel, plus reserve finger spools.
7. A decent torch, plus 2x back-up torches.
8. Spare mask, wet-notes, slates etc
9. Dive planning software on your computer.
10. Appropriate exposure protection, assuming long, cold deco stops.
11. Appropriate fins and mask (plus back-up mask).
12. DSMB and lift-bag
13. A whole other bunch of small expenditures on bits and pieces that you need... a van load of tie-wraps, bungee cord, duct tape etc etc
14. Tanks (if you don't rent) - 1x back-mounted/isolated doubles and 2x stage cylinders.

Prices will vary regionally...and you may get some stuff second-hand.

Training.... invest in the best. Normally around $200-250 a day (work that out based on course duration/s)... plus cost of dives/gasses etc. A single tech dive will use 4x nitrox tanks. Compare that to the cost of rec diving... If/when you get into trimix diving... multiply all gas costs by 4.

Also, what is the difference between "Tec" and "Rec" style diving?

In one word: "Precision"...... applied to every aspect of the diver's outlook, planning, preparation, equipment, skills, buoyancy etc etc etc

What would I have to change in my Rec dives to make them Tec dives and keep up with my proficiency?

Your approach to the dives is the main thing... the word 'precision' again :wink:

Many tec divers like to keep a similar configuration when diving rec... it retains muscle memory for familiarity with the kit. Hence, they dive in single-tank wings (same harnesses, equipment stowage etc)...or they just dive in doubles all the time. Same for sidemount.

Working hard to perfect buoyancy, trim, propulsion and control at all times... setting personal challenges, such as; maintaining your safety stop within 25cm deviation, following a dive plan... to the nearest second - to the meter/foot.... practice drills over and over and over again...

After thoughtfully reading prior posts, I have a few considerations that you may want to factor in to your decisions on future training. Unlike some other responders, I won't prescribe. All of the training you recite is valuable, and rescue is the logical next step, as it relates to all other directions of continued training, and is a required predicate to some. If you are going to be the leader of a diving family, a DM rating maintaining current insurance will afford you and your family some freedom in diving, and you will have good skills to plan, lead and execute dives with them that will raise everyone's comfort level, and fun level. However, you are not going to make much money as a DM unless you are leading tipping tourists several days a week, and then the income is modest. My final comment is to consider what kind of diving you will be primarily doing. Having a broad range of competences is great, but if you have a limited budget for training- both as to money and time, invest it in growing in the areas that you will utilize most.
DivemasterDennis

Last edited:
Rescue skills are essential.

A basic air deco course is an excellent idea too - even if you don't end up doing deco dives regularly it will make you more informed and resilient.

Sorry for it taking me so long to respond, guys. I was taking care of my mom this weekend, who just had surgery. Also, we had a PADI rep do a Go Pro night at our LDS last night and talked about getting DM and stuff. One point the guy made (Stush, for those who know him) was that all of your specialties are still ways to become a better/safer diver. Another point he made was that he big time encourages all of his students to go through at LEAST Rescue....because that is when you learn to help others diving instead of just help yourself. So, I'm definitely doing Rescue...but if I get a chance to do my Tec40 first then that's what I'm going to do. However, I'm DEFINITELY doing Rescue ASAP. Hopefully (depending on a professor) I can get my Tec40 this weekend and my Rescue before mid-May.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2012 at 02:25 PM ----------

To expand on that,
Devon: thanks for the breakdown. That's what I've been looking for/worried about. I'm working on accumulating most of that. The things I haven't/hadn't planned on are redundant computers, tanks, 4x regulators, and a couple of other things (DSMB AND liftbag, instead of one or the other).

Also, Devon, who do you certify through? There seems to be a lot of different belief sets in the world of Tec. For example, PADI is very insistent on a personal dive computer whereas GUE seems diametrically opposed to them. I'm not questioning your skills/knowledge...I'm simply wondering what to expect your views to line up with.

About training, one of the owners at the LDS I worked at worked with Jeff Loflin extensively and has agreed to help out pro-bono. He's Full Cave cert (NSS, I believe), and as far as I know he's the best in the area. He's definitely the most experienced diver I've ever been around.

Spazzy: DSAT is the main reason why I'm interested in taking PADI's Tec40. I'm not so much interested in the card as the ability to learn from the course (and get a card without spending cash :D ).

Dennis: I have relatively limited time availability...but I'm basically working for certs at the LDS. Cash for certs isn't an issue, but cash for the gear Devon listed is an issue (especially right now, hopefully less so over the summer). I'm not thinking I'll be able to buy all of it plus backups, but definitely a really healthy start to it.

Back
Top Bottom