My Rational For Buying My Own Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they said it's rated to 52 they are being conservative. I have a delta3 and a GT3 and have had both in 39 degree water in Lake Erie with no problems on more than one occaision. One of the factors in reg freeze up is overbreathing the reg. Keep your breathing nice and smooth and slow and for the most part any enviro sealed reg will do fine. Get a GT3 with the cdx5 first stage non dvt. Will save you alot of cash and be good for most anything you do. THere are techniques for ice diving that would be discussed in the course to also minimize reg freeze up in and out of the water. As to your other choices the Excursion is a nice unit and personally I'd go for a standard octo based on experience with air shares and the type of diving you plan to do.

Wow, I love this board. Thanks for the feedback, especially from somebody who dives in the great lakes. I too will be in Lake Michigan and Mackinaw to do some diving.

you make a good point on the octo and that is what is going through my mind. But then I need octo that I can use if I find myself in 40 degree water.

Thus far Mark at Diver Supply.com is really helping me with my questions as well.

Owning your own gear will make diving better is many ways. I looked at your link and see you are a biker, you would never imagine racing a rental bike would you? Same Idea applies.

All of my gear is used (now)

What I purchased a new Mask, Snorkel, Fins, Wetsuit, Wet suit hood, Gloves, boots and Computer.
What I purchased Used BCD, Reg, Drysuit, Backup computer.

IF you have a Zeagle dealer near you check you there regs and BC. If not stick with what you know and can get serviced.

Good luck.

Well everyone, I did it. I pulled the trigger. Mark at Diver-Supply put together a package that was priced in a way that I couldn't really say no. Well, I could have, I just didn't want too. :)

Here is what I bought:
Oceanic Excursion BC
Oceanic Delta 4 Reg
Oceanic Octo 180 swivel (opted against Air XS2)
Oceanic Spinner Knief
Oceanic Veo 250 Wrist Computer
Mares Misson 1 Compact SPG
Octo holder
Akona Regulator Bag
Akona Duffel Bag

I will get a wetsuit from my LDS since that is something that needs to by tried on. I'll also get my compass since I think I want it on a retractor.

I'm nervous and excited at the sametime. Just a lot of money to spend on a hobby I haven't touched in so long. I do have my AOW as of October (mentioned above) and it is just an amazing experience being underwater, even in Michigan with zero visibility. I'll start drysuit training once I get this gear. There is a sense of relief knowing I won't have to deal with equipment stress, other than the initial few setups, but I plan on doing multiple pool dives to become familiar with the BC/Reg and how it acts in the water (bouancy mainly). Also learning how to use a computer instead of analog gauges.

Question: Do you think an LDS that is doing OW training would allow me to tag along as long as I stay out of their way? Would I need a dive buddy when practicing with my new equipment in a pool?

Here is what I bought:
Oceanic Excursion BC
Oceanic Delta 4 Reg....

Please do make sure they updated the seat in the reg before sending it or yours was not affected as there is a recall on the seat in the Delta 4. Here is a place where you can check the serial number against their database. Oceanic HP Seat Retrofit

Yeah one of my cdx5's is on it. I just rebuilt it a month ago. Now have to check and see if the kit was ok since some of them seem to have been affected.

guppie from our other post, I use almost the same equipment as you are buying..I use the Excursion, a gt3 with cdx5 first stage, I chose the Air XS integrated octo and a pro plus 2. You wont be disappointed with the gear you selected. When we get out on the water, I can show you some of the best tips.

Also if you want to get some pool time in in the new gear in Grand Haven on Sundays you can use the indoor pool in the afternoon ( i think 4 hours) for $10. Great way to get familiar with the gear in a controlled environment.

btw I used my gt3 at 42 degrees and had no issues, so as stated its pretty conservative to say 52 degrees.

I was thinking about doing some pool time for that exact reason, I'll have to look into the GH center. Working in Holland, not too far.

If you get the gear before the weekend and want to go sunday, i think that i will be around..let me know..Brent

I have all my equipment now with a couple of exceptions (duffle and regulator bag). :) I don't have a wetsuit, but if you think I would need a 3mm or something I can pick one up when I pick up a tank. I'll check with my wife tonight about timing on Sunday. How long do you generally spend there and what time frame works for you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom