My Rational For Buying My Own Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they only do it from like 3-5pm......so it would be around that time frame....Its indoors, I wasnt planning on diving in anythingother than a bathing suit and T-shirt (since its indoor pool) Weighting wont be right, but you can get comfortable with what all is there...I usually burn 1 tank.....which at that depth will last you plenty. I'll double check the times and post it here....Might be some others that want in on Great Lakes Wrecking Crew...

Just checked rita says from 3:30 to 5pm is when they prefer the divers to come, its open swim from 2pm-4pm....

After a two year gap between dives, I decided to get my A.O.W, which I just completed (competed with my best friend). Wow, I forgot how much fun this hobby is. Last dive was in St.Thomas, my A.O.W was done in Michigan Lakes. Although visibility was poor, it was still just awesome to be underwater again.

Anyways, I experienced a lot equipment stress in a couple of different ways. Although I did a pool dive to refreash, the first dive of my A.O.W was a night dive. I was using equipment I was unfamiliar with in a lake I never dove in. I was dissapointed in my instructor for doing this. After the other day time dives, I learned much more about the lake and became very comfortable.

I had some frustrations with rental equipment in that I was constantly checking and double checking to make sure everything was okay. I had a heck of a time perfecting bouancy since I was not use to how the BC acted underwater. By the last dive, I was much better.

The BC was in okay condition, the Regs worked fine although they were kinda big compared to today's standards, but the wesuit STUNK. Blah.

My friend and I made a goal of 1-2 dives a month next year, probable staring in Spring, although Lake Michigan is still COLD then. We also plan on getting our drysuit cert and I want to get my Ice Diving cert. I know I will not buy a drysuit next year. I want to see how the year goes because those are EXPENSIVE.

Anyways, with this goal in mind, and the stress from A.O.W, It has me thinking about my own equipment. I've priced and re-priced things online (scuba.com, scubatoys.com) and LDS. I was first leaning towards scubapro because I have a thing for getting the best gear. My conscious is checking me, so I'm now leaning towards the Oceanic Excursion, Oceanic Delta 4 reg and probable a wrist mount computer or a counsel. I'm also not sure to get an Octo or Air X2 thing.

Anways, I came across the sale by Divers-Supply.com that REALLY puts this equipment into my price range. I've tried the BC on and I love the fit and I used the reg for a short period during my A.O.W (very short period) and I loved it, but was also comparing it to the HUGH reg I was using.

Anways, this post is getting long (sorry). This is the rational I'm using, does it make sense or am I jumping into an equipment purchase too fast?

Oh, I am going to Florida too see my parents (Clearwater) in February. I'd like to do some diving there as well. I also see one dive trip a year to mexico or somewhere like that.

any or all reasons are perfect for buying your own gear........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom