My Review of Cozumel Survival Manual by Ric Hajovsky

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Cozumel Survival Manual by Ric Hajovsky

After visiting Ric’s web site (Everything about Cozumel - Home ) referred to in this SB thread ( http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/413293-everythingcozumel-com-yellow-guide.html ) I really enjoyed Ric’s perspective on Cozumel, especially the history. So I decided to buy his book, Cozumel Survival Manual from Amazon (Kindle version for $5.99). I read the entire book last night and while it was not quite what I was looking for it was a very informative book on the subject of living on the island of Cozumel.

While I enjoy my visits to Cozumel, I have very little desire to move, run a business or live permanently on Cozumel. For those that do wish to make this life style change or who are considering to make such a life transformation, I would recommend Ric’s book as a necessity. If you are coming from either Canada or the U.S. this book provided the road map needed to navigate the Mexican legal and social systems on Cozumel. The information can even be extrapolated to other regions of Mexico. While the book does offer detailed explanations to immigration laws, visas, land & property purchases, business, etc. the book many times still tells its readers that they still need the proper legal representation.

Even though I have very little desire to transplant myself to Cozumel or any other Mexican district, I do like to travel and visit Cozumel as often as I can. This book gave me an insight to many different topics that are so useful for a visitor too. One example is that in a traffic altercation you are presumed guilty until proven otherwise; this is just the opposite in the U.S. and Canada. You or your insurance company must resolve the financial implication of an accident right there on the spot or you go to jail. Several years ago I learn this the hard way when I was hit but another drive and his insurance company representative talked me into agreeing it was “both” of our faults and we would be responsible for our own vehicles. I thought this was the way it was done in Mexico. Later my insurance representative showed up on site and said it was his entire fault and that I could go. When I turned in my rental at the Cancun airport, I was again held responsible for the damage since I “signed” a statement…luckily I had full insurance coverage and it only cost me $75 for the deductible and a lesson learned. Had I known the law, I would have waited for my insurance representative before signing anything. Ric’s book does a pretty good job explaining such as these things.

BTW: If you are intoxicated and involved in an accident your insurance is now invalid and you’re personally are financially responsible…I like this law. :D

Here are some of the chapters in his book:

Cozumel Calendar
Cozumel Traditions
Government / Government Offices
Laws / Police
Marriage & Divorce
Visas / Immigration
Work Permits
Moving Your Stuff to Cozumel (customs / aduana / freight)
Pets & Wild Animals
Banking
Business & Finances
Buying a Home or Condo
Renovation & New Construction
Employees & Labor Laws
Utilities (how to hook up, read meters, & pay bills)
Public Transportation (city buses, taxis, colectivos, ferries, planes, etc.)
Private Transportation (your car & how to keep it legal)
Medical (doctors, dentists, innsurance, & hospitals)
Communications (cell phones, land line, skype, VOIP, internet)
Mail & Delivery Services
Media (TV, satelite dish, cable, newspapers, etc)
Your Home
Renting Out Your Home or Condo
Shopping (local discount plans, senior discount plans, etc.)
Art, Culture, & Parks
Clubs & Associations
Physical Fitness (gyms, public pools, tennis courts, tracks, etc)
Beach & Ocean
Metric Conversion Tables

Overall, I highly recommend Cozumel Survival Manual for anyone visiting or especially considering moving there. The references appear to be up to date, the book is well organized and the writing is superb in quality and appropriate for the subject. Like the title says, this book is a Manual and not a fluffy story. For $5.99 (Kindle version, $14.89 for the paperback version) its value was well worth the purchase and my time to read it.

If you buy the book I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

~Oldbear~

I just got a PM from the author, Ric...what a truly warm hearted individual. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom