My review on the VT3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one thing I don't like about the VT3 is that the buttons are too hard to push for my preference.

Ok, got my new VT3 today. Talk about excited!

Unfortunately, I'm going to disappoint some on the functionality, but it's a minor issue that will raise some questions for some. Please keep in mind, I have yet to dive it, this is an issue straight out of the box and in the manual. These things have been verified by Oceanic's Tech department.

1. Manual activation: Once the VT3 is activated manualy, it takes 2 entire hours from the last button pushing for it to shut off automatically. 10-20 minutes is reasonable. 2 hours is flat out ridiculous and should be corrected to help conserve battery life.

2. Wet activation: Once a dive has been made, the VT3 will remain on for 24 hours. It becomes "locked" in a specific mode for that time frame. Again, this is absolutely ridiculous and should be corrected or set up for a manual turn off/on. I can understand the unit being locked if an extreme violation is noted on the computer, but it stays in this mode after a normal dive according to the manual and the tech department.

3. No way to manually turn the unit off. Why?

4. The manual boasts that battery life is 100 dive hours, but it does not include information on what an actual dive hour is for this computer, nor does it state how the "locked" 24 hour mode and 2 hour self-shut off effect the 100 dive hour life. Why?

I know someone will eventually raise the issue that features 1 and 2 are designed with emergency services in mind just in case of a dive accident. Well, if you think that you need to think again. How many people carry their manual with them for their dive computers, very few if any. Then, how many emergency services folks will take the time to figure out how it works and scroll through the information, absolutely none unless you're already dead; saving your life is way too important for that immediate moment and time will be crucial.

So I pose the question as to why features 1 and 2 in my post exist as they do not make any logical sense. If a unit goes unused at the surface for 10-20 minutes, it should shut down, unless connected to the d/l kit and software. This will conserve battery power and save divers money on batteries and hopefully create less batteries in the garbage.

Now for the good:
1. Extra protective face shields are available= part # 04.8220 VT3 Cover
2. Transit clips are available, but currently on backorder due to demand
3. Compass mounts to add to the transit clip are available, but currently on backorder
4. The band is long enough to quite possibly fit over a hard suit!! (really long!!)
5. Backlight is quite adequate in low-to-no light and won't kill your night vision
6. Easy to read display, even through the protective sticker (ha!)
7. Cool dive plan features: turn-around/return pressure alarm, max depth plan alarm (can set manually), dive time remaining alarm (can set manually), end pressure alarm (can set manually), safety stop alarm (can set depth and time manually).

The VT3 Complete came packed in a case much like the Pelican hard cases, and lovingly surrounded in foam to protect the transmitter and computer. For those who feel the need for a pressure relief valve, there is not a Pelican case that the foam will simply slide into perfectly, so you'll need to buy one that's near the right size and use the pull-foam to fit it. There are so many user programmable features that it will put a grin on your face to see just how versitile this unit truly is! I can't wait to get this unit in the water! In fact, there should be a special certificate if you manage to use all the features at least one time legitimately (I know I won't be able to).

On your #1... I have no idea.

On your #2... it's an off gas/flying issue. I'm OK with that and it's part of the entire Oceanic line.

Just finished my first couple of dives with this computer. What a great piece of equipment!!! The computer is easy to use with the fastset menus. As long as you know what item you wish to change and which menu it is under, the change is a snap. This can be a little lofty the first couple of times, so take the time to familiarize before you dive. Another tip on initial setup, when cutting the watch band leave it long. This will allow the use of the band with a thick wetsuit and gloves. For night dives keep in mind that the unit has a setting for backlight… set this longer during night dives and remember to set it back to conserve battery time.

NetDoc:
On your #2... it's an off gas/flying issue. I'm OK with that and it's part of the entire Oceanic line.

Thanks NetDoc, but it still seems like a power wasting function. If I'm going to be flying, my computer is going to be packed at some point. Why on earth would I need to reference my computer for off-gassing before flying if I pack it up? Before computers, training and common sense post-training tell you that you shouldn't fly within 12 hours/24 preferable of a dive or vice-versa on diving after a flight. Got to keep in mind that I was a Suunto buff for a long time and I'm looking into the products from my LDS, so the VT3 was my first purchase from Oceanic.

As many of us know, Oceanic does a wonderful job of listening to the desires of their customer base. Obviously there was a desire for this feature or it would not have been included. I can see how someone who is a frequent flyer who dives would want a feature like this. It makes sense now, so thank you.

So far, I'm very impressed with the versatility of the product. Getting it in the water will be the experience that will provide me a true education on the unit and its features.

Just a suggestion for future programming, set it up so that we can manually turn off/on the 24 hour "locked" mode and manually set the 2 hour auto-off to a time that is user desired.

I have had a few Oceanic computers (Pro Plus 2's, VT PRO, Atoms and a new VT3 on it's way) and never had issues with the 2 hour off feature or the 24 hour countdown to de-sat or no fly time.

The "lock" you speak of is not a full lock, it just means that the display will be in that mode showing you the de-sat and no fly time, but the computer is still fully functional.

The unit NEEDS to calculate de sat and no fly times, thus the unit needs to be on after diving.
The two hours when the unit isn't diving before it shuts off isn't a big battery drain at all.

Thanks for taking the time to write, enjoyed reading you comments. Thanks for choosing Oceanic!

Best,

Chris

Thanks Cerich, that makes an entirely different kind of sense. I assume that when you say the unit needs to calculate de-sat/no-fly time, it does so to keep the most accurate info possible for multiple dives within what is known to be a normal "dive day" to help keep the diver within safe limits for de-sat/no-fly. Still kind of weird, but I'll get used to it.

Let me try to clear this up a bit...

1. The two hour activation shutdown was instituted prior to all of our computers featuring both manual and water activation. Back when manual activation was required, 2 hours allowed most divers, in most situations, the ability to activate the computer say when they board a boat or arrive at the dive site - and enter the water in the 2 hour time frame. Should the unit shut down in a significantly shorter time, it would be a major pain to have it do so at some point between initial gear check and actually beginning your descent. With water activation, it could certainly be re-evaluated, but as someone said earlier, the current draw during that time frame is minimal, so it really is not an issue.

2. The computer stays on following a dive to track desaturation and fly time, but most importantly, continues to track tissue loading in the event that you do another dive - whether it's an hour later or 10 hours later, it's a repetitive dive.

3. Our battery life estimates are based on full-capacity batteries, and continuos usage as described below:

- 7 days per week

- 2 dives per day

- 1 hour dive time

- 2 hour surface interval

- 18 hour interval from last dive to the first of the next day

So, when we state 300 dive hours - that means dive hours, not activation hours. Our estimates account for the unit being "on" for a 24 hour dive day.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Doug

diverdown247:
In fact, there should be a special certificate if you manage to use all the features at least one time legitimately (I know I won't be able to).

PADI VT3 Diver Specialty? :D

Back
Top Bottom