My review on the VT3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure, but I would think that most computers stay active for 12 to 24 hours after you dive anyway, just that most of the other brands turn off the screen so that it doesn't look like it is running. So aside from just giving more information, and basiclly being more honest the only thing that the VT3 is doing is making people nervous about battery life, and heck there is always diving to relieve stress. So really they are just giving you another reason to dive :)

The VT3 and most of our computers do have a tremendous amount of user options and settings - designing a computer with so many options, as few as two buttons, and our design philiosphy mandate of being user-friendly can be quite a challenge.

The best way to familiarize yourself with and to modify settings is through the OceanLog PC Interface - "Settings Upload" is included with the program and works with all of our current direct-connect USB downloadable products - ATOM, VT3, VT Pro, Pro Plus 2, Veo 250, and Veo 180 Nx.

diverdown247:
Hmm...more like VT3 Expert field tester/user.

Figured I'd post this question since we have a nice feature thread going on here:

Will it foul anything to always leave the VT3 in nitrox mode with FO2 set at 21% to dive using air? It seems like the only thing it changes is additionally showing you O2 loading graph as opposed to not doing so in "air" mode. But darnit, if it has the graph, why shouldn't I use it :) Thanks!

Good one Hydro.....I'd like to use a graph on normal air dives too. :D

On the flip side, I dove my VT3 today. Just 3 - 25min. dives below 30ft. I was on my back-up reg set, so I couldn't dive w/ the transmitter. Here's my thoughts:

1. Someone posted earlier in this thread that the buttons seem difficult to press, somewhat....seems to be almost a "pop" or "click" when the buttons are used.

2. Nice clear reading in 5ft vis like I had today. The algae was terrible today!!

3. The "no air"/"lost signal" alarm certainly gets your attention. I kept wanting to push the "A" button to acknowledge.

4. Submenus were pretty easy to navigate, provided you read the manual. If you're the "typical guy" and don't like to read directions, I strongly suggest that you do the reading with this particular item. It will pleasantly surprise you.

5. Monster band! What's with the super-long wrist band? I hate to cut it, so I suggest using a mask strap retainer (plastic or vinyl-should have an enclosed slot and a cut-out slot) to help eliminate the problem. It's something you can pull out of a save-a-dive kit and it just clips right on if your careful, then you can double the band over and it's out of the way.

6. This one's for Oceanic: please, please, please, include an extra protective face cover with these products. Many of your customers will thank you in the long run should one break and they have another already on hand from the factory without having to order one right away. Personally, it's like a mask strap or fin strap, I would always like to have one in my save-a-dive kit. Break it, replace it on the spot, order back up when I get home.

So far, I'm pleased with the VT3. It's definately taking some getting used to coming from the Suunto line, but I'm managing. Plan on taking out the transmitter next week and getting it wet.

I've had a chance to monkey with the included software. Here's my input.

Once I managed to navigate the help menu, the software became relatively easy. In the future it would be nice to provide users a "walk-through" demo of how to properly install the dive computer hardware to a pc as well as a demo on how to download major specifics and how to save them.

The software seemed to be user friendly once you navigated the Help menu to learn how/what to do. There's a lot of information on the software to edit and learn, but once you've established most of them, they are stored for reference or adjustment. SAC rates, cylinder size and type, working cyl. pressure, surface interval, etc. The only thing missing is the no-fly times for each dive and/or subsequent dives (not that it would be necessary for the pc logbook, but heck, everything else is there!!).

Let's not forget that you can add a picture to the pc logbook for each dive. Hmmm.....photos of your favorite dive sites....nice idea. If you like that, you'll love the graph capability. You can move it along the elapsed time and depth axis' and check the data for a specific point in time and depth!

diverdown247:
I've had a chance to monkey with the included software. Here's my input.

Once I managed to navigate the help menu, the software became relatively easy. In the future it would be nice to provide users a "walk-through" demo of how to properly install the dive computer hardware to a pc as well as a demo on how to download major specifics and how to save them.

The software seemed to be user friendly once you navigated the Help menu to learn how/what to do. There's a lot of information on the software to edit and learn, but once you've established most of them, they are stored for reference or adjustment. SAC rates, cylinder size and type, working cyl. pressure, surface interval, etc. The only thing missing is the no-fly times for each dive and/or subsequent dives (not that it would be necessary for the pc logbook, but heck, everything else is there!!).

Let's not forget that you can add a picture to the pc logbook for each dive. Hmmm.....photos of your favorite dive sites....nice idea. If you like that, you'll love the graph capability. You can move it along the elapsed time and depth axis' and check the data for a specific point in time and depth!

Don't use the included software, download the new software from the beta testing link that Doug provided. It will allow you to see what we have and give you the chance to influence where we go.

I'm glad you enjoy the VT3!

By the way, you can set the unit so it isn't "yelling" at you when you aren't using the transmitter.

Best,

Chris

In response to DiverDown247's comments about an extra faceplate, here's what I do with all my computers...
Go to a local office supply store and purchase a package of "screen protectors" for either palm pilots or pocket PC's. The package is relatively inexpensive and usually contains 10-20 "protectors." Pop off the computer's faceplate, lay it over one of the sheet protectors and trace the outline. Cut out the protector and use it to cover the computer's face plate.

This little DIY technique will reduce/eliminate scratches and other damage to the faceplate and each protector will last about 75-100 dives. It doesn't hinder the reading of the computer AT ALL!!

Much cheaper than buying new faceplates! Give it a try...works on all my Oceanic and Suunto computers.

Frogman48:
In response to DiverDown247's comments about an extra faceplate, here's what I do with all my computers...
Go to a local office supply store and purchase a package of "screen protectors" for either palm pilots or pocket PC's. The package is relatively inexpensive and usually contains 10-20 "protectors." Pop off the computer's faceplate, lay it over one of the sheet protectors and trace the outline. Cut out the protector and use it to cover the computer's face plate.QUOTE]

This is absolutely a great idea. For those who have never used screen protectors, be sure to get all the air bubbles out of them, best way to ensure this is to clean the surface to be applied to with alcohol and let it air dry first. Please realize that these will eventually come off, get bubbles, or fog. When that happens, just replace the film, it's cheap enough stuff.

My post for the protector was based on the possibility of breakage. In my post I stated: "break one, replace immediately, then order a new one when I get home." My thought there was so that a diver can continue the dive day without the fear of scratching the actual face of the computer. That's also why I posted the part number in a previous post for everyone.

I am thinking of getting a VT3 or a pro plus 2 have owned the pro before but never a hoseless comp. So what does everyone think of. The VT3 now that you used it for a while?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom