My Steel HP100's have surface rust, WTH?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One was clean, and the other had 2-3 spots in it. They said no big deal. Next year at this time I guess I'll get them tumbled. QUOTE]

Why, if there are still only 2-3 spots, there is no need. I have steel 72's that date back to 1960 and have never toumbled them. I also have some HP100's that are now almost 20 years old and all I ever needed was to whip them (came back with flash rust from hydro).

Some spot rust is OK as long as you can tell if there is only surface rust and not pits.

[offtopic]
Interesting snipette from FE's site

they say they won't over fill AL, but don't say they will or will not overfill steel . . .

[/offtopic]

Seems as though they have encrypted the message just enough to say they will over fill a steel cylinder during it's first hydro. I have visited the shop several times for equipment purchases and a class but have not received any fills.

Seems as though they have encrypted the message just enough to say they will within a cylinder's first hydro. I have visited the shop several times for equipment purchases and a class but have not received any fills as of now.

I have gotten a few fills there . . . good peeps . . . it does seem as though they are saying they might, but then again they might not . . . depends on whos account the fill is being charged :)

Thank you for the advice.

I don't think my LDS had anything to do with the spots. My wife and I typically use our own tanks when boat diving, and I recall taking the tanks to a shop afterwards for fills after a dive down South.

My wife had been a little under the weather so we only used 3 tanks on a particular dive. The shop we took them too had there whips in the water. I felt uneasy, but didn't pay much attention (my fault). It only takes a few drops one time to get the spots I have, so I'm confident that's where they came from.

Next year I'll get them tumbled to be safe.

reef,
i would not get them tumbled unless you have to. a quick spin of the whip and a blast of dry air to blow out the dust should do the trick if they only have flash rust. hell some flash rust coulb be ok untill the following year in the case of the two spots. as long as they do not start to cause any pitting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom