My Travel Perk Credit Card Experiment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just applied for the American Express Traveller's Cheque Card. I'm anxious to see how well it is accepted in a couple of weeks.

Well, they told me that three lounge memberships were included, President's club, World-pass and one more, I forget.

I did look at the companion tickets last time I was tempted and I don't care enough about first class to pay money for it. I like it when its an upgrade....

I liked the United economy class upgrade since our flights are so long and I fly a lot of red eyes due to the time zone. It wouldn't be worth it on shorter connections.

In SoCal, we convinced the schools to allow us to pay the kid's tuition with mileage cards and the parents went nuts for that. Of course, I put all groceries, anything possible on the card and pay it off monthly. The mileage does add up but the 2:1 deal they just changed is going to effect me.

Has anyone taken advantage of the insurance on purchased items that were lost or broken?

Capitol One has been getting good buzz. I know Consumer Reports used to review credit cards.

American Express Traveller's Cheque Card.
Is that instead of cheques?

catherine96821:

Yes, it's in lieu of traveller's cheques. They work the same way, only it works more like a credit card than a cheque.

I used the insurance once on an MBNA card to replace a digital camera when the housing flooded. I've used the housing successfully since, so it was almost certainly my error. They knew that and did not care. The only real questions were whether it happened in the first 90 days and whether it was repairable. I had a little problem with that, but it was because Olympus first said it could be repaired and then changed its mind. The insurance paid off promptly both for the repair and then for the difference between the repair cost and the original purchase price of the camera. The claims people weren't overly difficult to deal with. I think that the business model on that is that the number of claims they pay is going to be limited by the 90-day limit, not by denying claims arguing about fault. Their rules on paying for something that was lost were a little tougher. As you can imagine, that would be subject to greater abuse. I think you had to file a police report and send them a copy to be able to make a claim for a lost item. With an item that is damaged, it's pretty easy to prove - send them the damaged goods. Overall, I was very satisfied with this experience.

I used the travel insurance when my luggage got lost in the Bahamas. My bag had my digital camera,snorkel and mask, expensive sun glasses etc.My sons only had clothes. We were told that if you don't get the luggage in x (I think 3) hours you are covered to $500. per bag. I got right through on the phone got a claim # and used the card to charge clothes. 24 hours later my bags got delivered to the hotel. My card was credited on the next bill.It worked out fairly well. Concierge service also worked well for me on a couple of trips. It also got me last minute reservations at Atlantis when all other services had no rooms available.(real nice room too up by the bridge!) They must have blocks of rooms reserved? I use it for business a lot even if my suppliers give me 30-60 days to pay I then use the card and get a extra 30 days when needed but be careful with the no limit they give you a "comfort level" that goes up with each higher bill It's easy to get carried away!

PS of course now that I am a savy diver the toys go in the carry on with me!

Oh and Catherine you will get a huge package with booklets and such with all your benefits as well as departures mag every month and a annual book with resorts around the world and their perks that only you as a $300 dollar a year Business platinum member are entitled to! Of course most are so elite that I for one wouldn't use them anyway. There are some "normal ones however"

catherine96821:
Well, they told me that three lounge memberships were included, President's club, World-pass and one more, I forget.

I did look at the companion tickets last time I was tempted and I don't care enough about first class to pay money for it. I like it when its an upgrade....

I liked the United economy class upgrade since our flights are so long and I fly a lot of red eyes due to the time zone. It wouldn't be worth it on shorter connections.

In SoCal, we convinced the schools to allow us to pay the kid's tuition with mileage cards and the parents went nuts for that. Of course, I put all groceries, anything possible on the card and pay it off monthly. The mileage does add up but the 2:1 deal they just changed is going to effect me.

Has anyone taken advantage of the insurance on purchased items that were lost or broken?

Capitol One has been getting good buzz. I know Consumer Reports used to review credit cards.

Yes... The 3 airport clubs are Continental, Delta, and Northwest (IF you are flying on that particular airline on that day ONLY... not - you can just stroll in anytime - tried that already)

Here's the link to the rewards from AMEX. LINK

I never heard of any benefits with United. That would be cool... I fly united almost exclusively, and I get economy plus automatically, since I fly so much.

Amex is the only company that truly offers "no hassle" - Don't get a capital one card... they are full of hassles. The Insurance protection from amex, while I haven't used it myself, I called and asked about it when I went to buy my D200.

One thing with amex (as a merchant too) they charge merchants the highest rate 3.25% per charge. So several merchants opt NOT to accept the card, because it's way more than Visa/MC which charges 1.5 - 2.5% depending on the circumstance. Visa/MC is accepted more worldwide.

The Amex "Check Card" is basically a "gift card" like a visa gift card, except it's from AMEX, so it's only accepted where Amex is accepted.

At my stores (all in tourist towns) we only see about 1-2 traveler's checks a month anymore. More people pay with Credit Cards in CO than Cash, and in FL, more people pay with Cash than CC. (weird)

So - Like I said... If you are wanting just straight rewards for travel, get a United Mileage Plus Visa card. UAL Visa it only costs $60/ year, and you can accrue up to 50,000 miles annually as a regular member. With all of the dobule mileage promos - you can rack up a lot more than that even.

If you really want the exclusive stuff you need this amex card
200px-Centurion_Artwork_-_PC.jpg
Which BTW - I've never even seen one in person.

es601:
OOOOOOhhhhhhh! the black one wow I hear it's by special invitation only
Yes... For members who spend over $250,000 / year.

Like I said, I've never even seen one, and I've been in Retail for 10 years now.

howarde:
Yes... For members who spend over $250,000 / year.

Like I said, I've never even seen one, and I've been in Retail for 10 years now.

I did that last year and I didn't get a call! I guess they don't like me:(

Back
Top Bottom