My trip to the "Big O"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, those work for me

nice pics

Judging by the pics you took, it's gonna be awesome when more fish "start to call it home." That is amazing. Can't believe the viz! I was supposed to dive it July 1...but because of my pending move, I had to cancel. Hopefully later in the summer. Thanks for sharing...really cool!!!!!

nice Pics, Great now even much more, I want to do the drive up to do that dive.
I guess I got to get my freinds advance cert now.

stangscuba98a:
What is the big O?

Just as the aircraft carrier USS John F. Kennedy is called "Big John" by her former and current crew, the Oriskany was called the "Mighty O" by those who served aboard her. :palmtree: Bob

All I can say is AWESOME....can't wait to get up there and check it out. The viz looked great. I couldn't tell by the pics if you had much current. Sounds like the water temp was pleasing at least at the surface. How long was the boat ride out to the site?

scubanatic:
All I can say is AWESOME....can't wait to get up there and check it out. The viz looked great. I couldn't tell by the pics if you had much current. Sounds like the water temp was pleasing at least at the surface. How long was the boat ride out to the site?
what's the current supposed to be like there normally?

Boat Ride is a little over 2 hours so plan on an all day trip. We left the dock a little after 8am and got back around 4 or so.

We really had a perfect day condition wise. The crew even said the water was as flat as they had ever seen it. First dive we had no current at all. The second dive we did have a bit of a current to contend with. It was strong enough that some effort was required to get through it.

Visibility was easily in the 80 foot range.

Words really can't describe how incredible the dive was. I cant imagine anyone not enjoying it.

So you were anchored on the wreck for 2 dives? Was your boat strictly rec or were there tech divers too? I'm trying to decide if I want to do this in doubles or a single and a good shop to dive with.

Yes we did both dives on the oriskany. All rec divers the best I could tell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom