MY WIFEs BCD - brand new and she said she's uncomfortable in it - HERE's Why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a backplate and wing set up! I have about 10 dives using this now and I can say that it is FAR more comfortable and better fitting than any jacket BC. By no means am I a "tech" diver (although that is something I hope to get into later on). This is the perfect set up for any diver and I have yet to hear anyone who has used a BP/W go back to a jacket BC.

Fr8dawg,

Welcome to SB :)
Get a backplate and wing set up! I have about 10 dives using this now and I can say that it is FAR more comfortable and better fitting than any jacket BC. By no means am I a "tech" diver (although that is something I hope to get into later on). This is the perfect set up for any diver and I have yet to hear anyone who has used a BP/W go back to a jacket BC.

I have a backplate and wing BC - and I love it! Yet I cringed when I read your post. I think that's because your statements seem to imply universal "best," which feels like too much of a blanket statement to me. If I were BC shopping, it would actually make me more skeptical about what you were recommending.

Again, I love mine, and it fits me nicely. I'll tell anyone about it, if they are interested, and why I like it. But I can think of reasons why it might not be the best or most comfortable for everyone. Case in point: As a result of this thread, the OP's wife bought a Zeagle Zena and loves it.

Blue Sparkle

+1 for the BP/W suggestion. They are the Macintosh computer of BCs.. That is, used by a relatively small percentage of divers, but those who use them love them and can't help but recommend them when the subject comes up! Unlike a computer, the BP/W that you buy today will be good for fifty years (ok you might need a new wing someday)...

I'll never go back to a jacket BC

:)

you mean the Macintosh computer is more like the Mares all in one BC with the pocket inflators. BP/W are more like the Linux computers, you build it up with separate components and add the ones you want.

Fr8dawg,
I have a backplate and wing BC - and I love it!
Again, I love mine, and it fits me nicely. I'll tell anyone about it, if they are interested, and why I like it. But I can think of reasons why it might not be the best or most comfortable for everyone. Case in point: As a result of this thread, the OP's wife bought a Zeagle Zena and loves it.

Blue Sparkle

I dove, in the shop pool, a backplate wing from Dive Rite and love it.. it was more in line with what I used when I did my first dives in 1969. I feel far to confined in my BC. I am hoping that the local sporting goods store that does a several month "scuba room sale" has some in the spring. OTOH< the dive guy was assuming I would always were a wetsuit.. mmm, well most of the time.. but not always.. a rash gaurd shirt is not going to cut those straps digging into my upper shoulders.. gotta work on that.. :blinking:

OTOH< the dive guy was assuming I would always were a wetsuit.. mmm, well most of the time.. but not always.. a rash gaurd shirt is not going to cut those straps digging into my upper shoulders.. gotta work on that.. :blinking:

I know everyone is not the same, but I have made many dives in my bp/w wearing only a rash guard (Florida Keys in summer), and I haven't had one bit of bother from the straps or plate. That said, while the rig overall is tight and secure, the shoulder straps themselves are not "tight," especially when I'm in the typical diving position (nor actually when I'm standing upright - say on deck - for that matter).

Again, it may not be the same for everyone, since we are all different sizes and shapes; but I wonder if you could tweak your shoulder straps to make them more comfortable?

I know everyone is not the same, but I have made many dives in my bp/w wearing only a rash guard (Florida Keys in summer), and I haven't had one bit of bother from the straps or plate. That said, while the rig overall is tight and secure, the shoulder straps themselves are not "tight," especially when I'm in the typical diving position (nor actually when I'm standing upright - say on deck - for that matter).

Again, it may not be the same for everyone, since we are all different sizes and shapes; but I wonder if you could tweak your shoulder straps to make them more comfortable?

True dat.. I am five three and a small frame, really small, think large kid sized. I am, at this point "interviewing" rigs there was another rig I tried on in the store at the same time.. Aqualung I think had pads on the straps much much more comfortable. I noticed that the backplates are one size fits all ... not that that was even remotely noticeable. Going up to Rainbow Springs monday. Store has a loaner rig I am taking.. we shall see. I loaned my shortie to a friend who's whole kit may be in Bangladesh for all we know.. so I will be in shorts and a tshirt freezing my tuckus off I suspect. lmao.. :D what I get for being a good friend and helping out. :blinking:
A.

True dat.. I am five three and a small frame, really small, think large kid sized.

I hear you; I'm 5'5" but very short waisted - so more like 5'2" to 5'3" when it comes to torso size. I had a hard time finding a BC that fit me because even women's extra-smalls would be up around my ears once I had the cummerbund in place.

I noticed that the backplates are one size fits all... not that that was even remotely noticeable.

I have to disagree on that. SOME backplates come in "one size fits all" (or as I like to call it "one size fits all average-sized men" :wink:) Other backplates DO come in sizes. There are a few brands that have two sizes; the brand I bought comes in five different sizes. I bought a size small and it is almost too small (i.e it fits me fine, juuust, but would also fit even smaller people).

I first used a "standard" sized backplate (the size of most brands that only come in one size) and it was noticeably too long on me. I could make it work, but it was far from ideal. So I made a point of seeking out a brand that would accommodate me (short-torsoed female).

If you are looking for a more "fabric-ey" BC, have you had a look at a Zeagle Zena? I was not aware of them when I was shopping but took a look recently (online). They look very interesting, are fabric-ey but not overly padded, and they come in sizes where you can mix-and-match torso, chest and waist sizes on one BC.

Blue Sparkle

Back
Top Bottom