MY WIFEs BCD - brand new and she said she's uncomfortable in it - HERE's Why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought my wife a Oceanic Hera BCD - a 5 star on every website. Its a beauty! HOWEVER....My wife is very close to the ground. 5ft 1 inch to be exact. Her torso is very short. I bought a small BCD, and she is saying she wants something different. This thing was 600.00 and is 3 weeks old. I sat in the garage and looked at several different ways this thing could be configured for a custom fit, bottom-line...she needs a youth size or something... she says in the water she feels the 1st stage up against her head when she looks up, and i adjusted the tank up and down 4 times. she says the cumberbun is too low. I ajdusted the straps, the shoudler straps and all. I need to get rid of this bcd and go to the dive shop and have her spend as long as it takes fitting into a bcd that works for her. DOES anyone have any advice for the best BCD for women and the characteristics of a woman hips, torso, ect ect... i just need help advice on the best bcd for a short female. THANKs TO ANYONE THAT RESPONDS TO HELP!
:)

I have a Ladyhawke XS I am five three and weigh 124lbs.. if that helps.. I had mine fitted with the help of 'ray' at bob jackson in largo fl. Got it during their summer scuba sale for $265. I also did my trying on with my shortie on to make sure it was comfortable with what I normally wear. .
A.

Can't believe I didn't see this and post in it when it was started!

Bottom line: If the gear doesn't fit or isn't comfortable, she won't dive it. Or if she does, she'll be uncomfortable and won't have fun.

I'm a small woman, and started with a Libra. It was the best fit I could find in the shop, but it didn't really fit well. It never kept the tank stable on my back, which made it hard to keep my balance.

The VERY first time I dove a backplate, I was totally hooked. It FIT! It stayed put, the tank stayed put, and there was no hauling on straps that went in directions my thumbs didn't . . . All respect to Dive Maven, but I suspect that a CORRECTLY adjusted backplate will be comfortable on virtually anybody. Just get some help setting it up, because if it is incorrectly adjusted, all of Dive Maven's complaints are completely justified.

...." the only right answer" ....
Sorry, I have a problem with this absolute answer not only for the OP in this case, but for many cases where this is applied ...

More to the point of the original post, the Zeagle Lazer (female-cut version of the Stiletto) is also customizable, like the Zena, due to Zeagle's modular fit system. Mix and match shoulder strap modules with different size harness/body and voila ... custom fit. This is but one of many "right" answers ... :wink:

Last edited:
Zeagle Zena and a 63 tank - problem solved !!!! perfect petite little thang helpin me scoop up them lobsters all day long

The OP found a solution.... You guys need to pay more attention! :D

Each year at our shop we certify 250+ women, ages from 10 to 60 and at all educational levels. I see dozens of BCs in differing sizes with differing accesories being used; there may be one that fits you, but not one that fits all.

"Try before you buy."

Sorry, fit does not equal comfort in my book. Think thong underwear..... :no::shakehead:

But in my case with a BP/W, I was fitted into one and hated the way the shoulder webbing and crotch strap felt. The backplate felt hard and unmoveable on my back, and bothered me. I also didn't like how difficult it was to get in and out of, and things only got worse when a tank was added.

I will stand by my opinion that there simply isn't any ONE piece of gear that is for everyone.

I cannot argue about the thong, but none of my gfs has ever complained about them being uncomfortable. And yes, I asked that question when I was younger. And yes, they all said they dont feel it. Maybe yours was a size too small?

Back to the BCD issue. If you hate the way the shoulder webbing and the crotch strap felt, it was not fitted properly. Period.

You are the first one who actually like the "back" to move about; which in my interpretation, means that you feel comfortable when you feel movement of the tanks wiggle behind you as you dive? That's really cool.

I'm 5' 0" and in the 110-115 pound range. I dive with an Aqualung Pearl, but after reading these posts I wonder if a back plate might be more comfortable. When diving fresh water I use my own 63's and that helps keep the back of my head from bumping on the back - but on vacation, where they don't always have 63's, I have to strap my tank lower and I wonder what that does to my overall balance. When I'm ready to shop again I'll be on here asking lots of questions.

Back
Top Bottom