MY WIFEs BCD - brand new and she said she's uncomfortable in it - HERE's Why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My scuba instructor fits your wife's description and uses the Aqualung Libra.

It would be best to have you wife fit her own BC however, for future reference.
If she doesn't like any of the BC's she's come across then I would say go to Tobin @ DeepSeaSupply and get a Bp/W set up with a small backplate. Tobin's really helpful at recommending the right hardware to fit your personalized body size/type.
DeepSeaSupply

How about Aqualung Pearl...I love mine and it is very short in the body....

You totally have the right idea about taking your wife to dive shops and have her try as many different types and styles as humanly possible. As you can tell from this thread, everyone has a different recommendation, all are excellent, but may or may not be right for your wife.

There simply is not one type, brand, or configuration of gear that is perfect for everyone, period.

Not only does she need to take the lead on this (you guide her to options if she's not into the research side) she needs to be trying it on IN THE WATER. A dive shop pool will do but she needs to know the feel of the thing as it set in the water

My wife's not tall so I know what you mean about running out of vertical real estate for everything. In the end a DSS singles ring and DUI harness were her Cinderella slipper. One rig, warm, cold, wet & dry.

Pete

Not only does she need to take the lead on this (you guide her to options if she's not into the research side) she needs to be trying it on IN THE WATER. A dive shop pool will do but she needs to know the feel of the thing as it set in the water
Pete

Ditto to this, my wife just bought the Aqualung Lotus after several trial runs in the water. She hated some, tolerated others and loved this one :D

To me it sounds like the problem lies more with your wife than the BCD. I'm also 5 ft 1 in. I've dived in all sorts of BCD's (generic, allegedly ladies, mens, etc etc) ranging in size from XS to Medium. My own personal equipment is a BP/wing set up. If your wife doesn't want her BCD, I'll gladly have it! :D Maybe your wife has a problem with something else and is just using the BCD as an excuse.

To me it sounds like the problem lies more with your wife than the BCD. I'm also 5 ft 1 in. I've dived in all sorts of BCD's (generic, allegedly ladies, mens, etc etc) ranging in size from XS to Medium. My own personal equipment is a BP/wing set up. If your wife doesn't want her BCD, I'll gladly have it! :D Maybe your wife has a problem with something else and is just using the BCD as an excuse.

What you suggest is possible but I think it's a little harsh to hang out there as a conclusion. To some divers, especially new ones the BC is something of a security blanket. If it's not feeling right then it's not right.

While we trained I ended up a size to big, a size to small once in a while I got my size! I made do and was fine. I knew the tank would be on my back and I had lift. My wife on the pother hand refused to do check-out dives in the shop BC, she's not an off the rack gal and nothing was really right in the pool. So we made the rounds of shop pools and she got into something that worked well enough. Even so as time went on things about that rig did not set well with her. She finally agreed to try a plate & wing (one of those barbaric pate & harness things) and it was love at first dive with nothing dialed in.

Yes some of it is the persons perspective but if it's not right to them then it's not right.

Pete

+1 for the BP/W suggestion. They are the Macintosh computer of BCs.. That is, used by a relatively small percentage of divers, but those who use them love them and can't help but recommend them when the subject comes up! Unlike a computer, the BP/W that you buy today will be good for fifty years (ok you might need a new wing someday)...

I'll never go back to a jacket BC

:)

Try out a BP/W with a small plate. She will love it and won't need anything else. Backplate/wings are customized t the user and will fit perfectly.

What you suggest is possible but I think it's a little harsh to hang out there as a conclusion. To some divers, especially new ones the BC is something of a security blanket. If it's not feeling right then it's not right.

My point exactly. It's still not a problem about BCD. It's a problem with the diver. As the saying goes, a poor workman blames his tools. If he wants to waste money on another BCD for her (which she will probably also have a problem with) then it's his choice. However, there might be other issues he might want to address as well. I know lot of girls do things they don't really like for the sake of their partners. He might be happier realising that he's better off diving by himself and sending her off to the shopping mall instead. That BCD money can go a looooonnnnngg way at the mall. Not to mention the reg money, the computer money, the suit money, the mask money, the fins money etc etc etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom