Mystery Item

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjhansman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anybody tell me what this is...?

Found it very securely tied to the coral at about 20 feet, maybe 250 yards off the shore at Mile 14 on Maui.

+/- 4 inches diameter and 16 inches long.

IMG_2047.jpg

Quite likely it's somebody's experiment. I've found that for some reason, leaving informative tags, and signs saying "please do not touch," just makes them twice as likely to disappear. *sigh*

Quite likely it's somebody's experiment. I've found that for some reason, leaving informative tags, and signs saying "please do not touch," just makes them twice as likely to disappear. *sigh*

No worries....I left it right where it was, and it's unlikely I could ever find it again. :D

Ha - we found all these strange 'cages' with bolts securing them to the coral on the reef at airport beach last year. Seems like those scientific types are trying to expand their already big brains.

There was a geocache inside the hull of the St. Anthony a couple of years ago - it was a rubber duck in a water bottle.....

Hope you're having fun!!

T

It's a marker. It might be one for a scientific experiment. There has been a lot of discussion about a development starting Mauka of the road that could do harm to the reefs there. I have mixed feelings because I make my living building developments but love the marine life and am an serious scuba diver in Maui

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A Thermograph Temerature Sensor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom