Narcosis Managing Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Enjoy it.

And believe the little voice that says "that's probably a bad idea."

My thoughts are pretty much the same.

1. Have the basics of diving down so solid that they require no thought and no special degree of coordination. It leaves more of the metal resources availble for the things that come up during the dive.

2. Know where everything on you is to the point you can find it release it and reattach it blind and a bit narced.

3. Dive the same basic configuration every time you dive to facilitate 1 and 2 above.

4. Never skip breathing to try to improve your SAC and avoid high levels of activity on deep air/nitrox dives to avoid the exacerbation of narcosis that occurs with elevated CO2 levels.

5. Be aware what it feels like to be narced and be aware what deterioration of mental and coordination skills occurs as you go deeper.

6. Be aware a warm water dive in good viz at 150' can be far different than the same 150' on a cold, murky, dark and cold 150' dive.

7. Understand that avoiding potential problems is important on deeper dives where narcosis is more of a factor as it will take you longer to resolve them if they occur - reel the limits back in substantially and stay firmly in the middle of your comfort zone and abilities.

8. That said, attitude is important. If you think narcosis will debilitate you it will. Don't stack the deck by obsessing on it and if you honestly feel you cannot function at an END greater than 100', then don't dive with an END over 100'.

9. Monitor yourself and your team members at depth. Flash them a hand sign with 3 to 5 fingers with the prearranged understanding that they will subtract 2 fingers and return the signal. If they don't get it right, they are narced, if you don't know if they are right or not, you are narced.

10. Be willing to call the dive at any time if it does not feel right or if you feel you are getting to close to the edge of your comfort zone.

I am a evolving diver that has come to adopt the DIR philosophy. I dive doubles on dives over 60' and try to cover all bases, hang bottles, emergency plans etc.
Two more notes; If you get narced, chances are good that your buddy will be narced as well, or close to it, so you have to remain in control of your own faculties. Also, accepting DIR means you will have your deco bottles clipped off on your left side, not hanging from a boat or ascent line, and of course, you would not be diving air in the first place. :)

I am a evolving diver that has come to adopt the DIR philosophy.

And the DIR philosophy is that one does not adapt to or learn to manage narcosis. DIR diving uses gases that keep the END above 100 feet for this reason.

Experience is a pretty invaluable tool when it comes to managing narcosis (in the same way that a veteran drunk handles alchohol better than some 13 year old girl - it is not a perfect analogy, but still).

But ultimately if you cannot avoid it (with He or staying shallow), you have to learn to manage it as best you can.

If you're diving in cold water in the Great Lakes, get your trimix cert. I was always getting dark narcs in cold water even at 100-120ft depths. When I discovered trimix last year, it was a revelation! I now dive mix every time I exceed 100', which applies to over 50% of the wrecks I dive. It has changed my diving world. I just wish someone had told me earlier what a real difference it makes.

Just be careful; it's addictive! :wink:

Just be aware that narcosis affects people differently from day to day. Just because you adapt well to XXXft one day does not mean all is well the next. Take baby steps and acclimatise before going deeper.
And like Lynne says DIR does not adapt to narcosis they avoid it with helium. I personally think it is good to experience a limited amount of narcosis just so you will see the benefits when you reach your nitrogen tolerance limits and start to use trimix anyway.
I hit my personal wall at about 200ft. I realized I had no business being that deep without helium after a few 200ft dives on air. I still occasionally hit 150ft without trimix but as a rebreather diver I use so little He I almost always use it.

Just be aware that narcosis affects people differently from day to day. Just because you adapt well to XXXft one day does not mean all is well the next. Take baby steps and acclimatise before going deeper.
And like Lynne says DIR does not adapt to narcosis they avoid it with helium. I personally think it is good to experience a limited amount of narcosis just so you will see the benefits when you reach your nitrogen tolerance limits and start to use trimix anyway.
I hit my personal wall at about 200ft. I realized I had no business being that deep without helium after a few 200ft dives on air. I still occasionally hit 150ft without trimix but as a rebreather diver I use so little He I almost always use it.
I agree with you that people can differ from day to day and dive to dive - you need to be willing to call the dive if you are not comfortable.

The concept of acclimating to narcosis is a hot button topic - wear nomex. Personally, I think there is some validity to it.

DIR does not avoid narcosis with He, they limit its effects by limiting END to 100'. Many tasks that are simple at 20' can still be a challenge at an END of 100'. ( But I know what you meant.)

In that regard, deep air used to be considered a pre-req for trimix (but not by GUE)with the idea that experiencing and understanding narcosis made you a better informed mix diver. Expressing that view now also requires nomex underwear.

200 ft on air is currently considered crazy both from narcosis and oxtox perspectives, although, like you, I will go to 150' under ideal conditions (warm water, lots of light, good viz, no penetration, no entanglement risks, etc.)

$125-$150 trimix fills are one of the best arguments for getting a rebreather - I am however waiting until people stop dying in the current numbers.

The earlier two threads jarred my memory a bit and last summer heard or over-heard talk of a narcosis management class. At the time I thought as I am sure some of you have, "What would that be?" But for some reason I did not blusster into the conversation.

It is possible that the class in question was TDI's Extended Range class. That is a very controversial class for the reasons you saw mentioned in other posts on this thread. The threads you mentioned earlier may have included a recent one on that very topic.

Part of the issue that came out in that thread is that in many parts of the world there are very interesting things to see in the 100-150 foot range but no available Helium.

Greetings everyone and thank you for all the comments and information!
I anticipated to hear a lot about HE and Tri Mix and that is in my near future!
To be 100% honest I need to log more deep dives in the 80' - 130' to build up to more challenging dives. I have more training time to get to the Tech deep dives! That is my goal to get to but I want to take the correct amount of time and training to get there!
I understand and appreciate everyones comments, and look forward to reading more in the future!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom