NASTY COTs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I thought the suggestion was the fish (eg puffers) keep COT's in check...

Over fishing means less fish to keep COT's in check, thus an infestation.

I didn't read the whole thread - I was basing that theory on your post (#56)

:)

Z...

Keep in mind fellows that you are killing adults. From the sperm/egg and larvae to adult the COT has many predators. It's usually some larval predator missing or some other condition effecting spawning or growth stages that causes outbreaks of pest such as these/. With input from the Univ of the Ryukyu's top biologist in this field, back in the mid 60 we came up with much the same idea--just remove them but use a spear or some method to prevent injury! This is a great ay, if not the best way to protect a valued area under attack!

Way to resurrect a five-year-old thread, Chuck! :thumb:

I agree with the missing predators and controls on young larvae. I think this happens when a reef is weakened by high temperature or some other factor.
I don't really agree that spearing them, or any other method of collecting them works in all cases. We had up to 50 divers working a 7 kilometer stretch of beach for about half mile out, every week for 2 months. And every Monday when we went back out to collect them, it was like we had done nothing the week before. When the coral bleached, they were there by the hundreds of thousands.

Keep in mind fellows that you are killing adults. From the sperm/egg and larvae to adult the COT has many predators. It's usually some larval predator missing or some other condition effecting spawning or growth stages that causes outbreaks of pest such as these/. With input from the Univ of the Ryukyu's top biologist in this field, back in the mid 60 we came up with much the same idea--just remove them but use a spear or some method to prevent injury! This is a great ay, if not the best way to protect a valued area under attack!

yep them COTs are still AROUND !!!!

normally humans can easily exterminate another specie.... however seems the COTs are better prepared .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom