NASTY COTs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthew:
SAFETY my a55. Didnt you just recommend pricking each of the critters as many times as it has arms, using a half-meter metal rod? How can that be safer than using that same rod to prick it once in the middle and move it, in one simple motion, into a waiting container? I find it illogical. And when you consider that we're dealing with thousands of the critters, side by side and on top of each other, it's just plain stupid.
not meaning to lessen the impact of your post..but lolo pao did the same harvesting method as you described. But I think he failed to remember to use a thong (sp?) and instead used a T-Back thong and a small knife. Yes lolo is stupid:)

imstupid.gif

Okay....you win.....I give up....just get rid of them darn coral killing critters.

Babydamulag:
Here is the cheap and bio-safe way to rid yourself of those darn Acanthaster planci (CROWN OF THORNS-COTS). Get a stainless rod (1/2 meter) and put a point on it. Make a handle (with a shroud if you want to get fancy) with a dummy cord. Using your new anti-COTS device you can eliminate the critter by punching holes into the base of each arm and through the middle. The resulting damage will cause every meat eating critter within kilometers to come and feed. It also bursts the reproductive organs.....so, no more pesky, reef-damaging COTS!! Stay away from the poison-filled syringes used to kill them. It kills humans too!!!
hey guys, baby is describing a technique that is used in SEAsia. Instead of metal most locals use bamboo. I won't be going into the MSI anymore before I leave, but maybe Iris can grab the COTs Management book from the library and scan the pages illustrating the different methods used.

The diver needs to have some stand-off from the thorns....no matter what technique is used just stay clear of those thorns!!

Babydamulag:
The diver needs to have some stand-off from the thorns....no matter what technique is used just stay clear of those thorns!!

AGREED !

NEWS FLASH :

some guys went COTS harvesting yesterday and this is an excerpt.

a large Puffer fish was hanging by the nest of collected COTS.

a diver (originally from AUstralia- now residing in the Phils and taking up GUE with Martin-Don't worry guys i already told him on SB and DIR-F and and ....i'm O/T) then offered the puffer fish the orange inards of them COTS, repeat : the PUFFER READILY ATE THE orange inanrds of the COTS!!!

so herein lies the proof to what Baby has mentioned !!!! the key here is that the amount of COTS offered for meals should equal the amount able to be consumed by the available fishes.

COTS meal = COts eaten; any remains would be risking regrowth/regeneration of COTS.

FYI lang.....

./

I think this is where I get to say ....................

"I told you so." Now, go get them darn COTS!!!

paolov:
COTS meal = COts eaten; any remains would be risking regrowth/regeneration of COTS.

FYI lang.....

./

How would a fish get at the innards WITHOUT a dive knife or apposable thumbs?

super ninja edit - I'm being serious - just for the record.

Z...

Back
Top Bottom