NASTY COTs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Risk your divers to the potential for injury!?!?!? Wow, okay. Have fun.

Babydamulag:
We got rid of ours like the way I described. Picking them up risks diver injury. BAD IDEA!!! Nausea at 20 meters just ain't cool. We learned the trick from some guys in Puerto Galera. It works.

bad idea huh? Ok I'm offering you free accomodation and dives to do just that. I want to count how many you can kill in a day, without injury to yourself.

Depending on how they look if you take dry them on land, you could sell them to tourists.

this is no popcorn thread guys.

the area i mentioned has carpet of COTs literally.

what we do is remove them and as mike says baked them in the sun and bury them.

we have done this successfully and no injuries as we use long tongs or poles to pick them up and we use modified baskets where they are placed while we do the harvest.

it is more efficient if it is done in teams of two. one holds the modified basket while the other picks the COTs.

the modified basket as mentioned is made with the opening wide open already, almost a diameter in opening so that the COTs is just dropped into the opening. the handle of the basket is held by the buddy about a meter up the opening. i get around 30pcs per dive with sizes around half a diameter.

hence there is considerable distance between divers and COTs.

lets not turn this into a popcorn thread on who is better or not in the manner of COts control. if it works it works.

though starfishes are known to regenerate if if injured or its appendage gets cut if given the chance to grow back.

paolov:
this is no popcorn thread guys.

the area i mentioned has carpet of COTs literally.

what we do is remove them and as mike says baked them in the sun and bury them.

we have done this successfully and no injuries as we use long tongs or poles to pick them up and we use modified baskets where they are placed while we do the harvest.

it is more efficient if it is done in teams of two. one holds the modified basket while the other picks the COTs.

the modified basket as mentioned is made with the opening wide open already, almost a diameter in opening so that the COTs is just dropped into the opening. the handle of the basket is held by the buddy about a meter up the opening. i get around 30pcs per dive with sizes around half a diameter.

hence there is considerable distance between divers and COTs.

lets not turn this into a popcorn thread on who is better or not in the manner of COts control. if it works it works.

though starfishes are known to regenerate if if injured or its appendage gets cut if given the chance to grow back.

I want a popcorn moment here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was serious about drying them out and selling them. In Micronesia I saw all sorts of sea life sold after it was dried. It would be a shame to just bury them if they could be used to generate some cash for the locals.

Diver Dennis:
I was serious about drying them out and selling them. In Micronesia I saw all sorts of sea life sold after it was dried. It would be a shame to just bury them if they could be used to generate some cash for the locals.

as soon as they are removed from the sea, they readily dehydrate and the cells collapse and the remains become a gooey mess.

paolov:
as soon as they are removed from the sea, they readily dehydrate and the cells collapse and the remains become a gooey mess.

bottle it and sell them to the K tourists... tell them its a local aphrodisiac...
:lol:

Pao, while I've never dried one myself(we haul em out and throw away) I've seen them on ebay sell fro $20 plus shipping........I guess I'll dry one and see if it goes to goo. They are starting up here in a few spots the buds and I dive. Good luck getting rid of them, they do kill the reef.....Jimbo

Back
Top Bottom