NAUI MAX Depth???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The NAUI NDL for
60ft/50min
35 to 39 min SI
Dive to 50ft
is 24 minutes.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

There will be differences in the ABT from the tables due to the fact that the PADI tables have 15 more pressure groups represented versus the NAUI tables. There will be some repetitive dives where the tables are close, but others will be more conservative on the NAUI tables because of having to round down due to the fewer number of pressure groups represented.

On the "crazy" Navy table, note that the Navy tables probably being referred to are not repetitive dive tables, they assume only one dive per time period (don't remember whether that's 12 or 24 hours, but I'm thinking 24 hours) that's why the limits are so much more liberal than the Rec RDP's.

The Navy air tables are repetitive tables. A 190 fsw for 5 minutes surfaces as a D repetive group. After a surface interval of 2:39 to 5:58 the group is B. This would allow a 100 fsw 17 minute no decompression dive. I believe that whatever tables you chose to use anyone who dives should at least review the Navy air tables and compare them to the one you are using. I learned the Navy tables many years ago and still use them as back up for my Edge computer.

Captain

Hrm, good to know. I was under the impression that there were some Navy tables that were not repetitive...

It sounds to me, based on the info above, that the straight Navy tables are being taught and used by recreational agencies.... yikes!

What about Buhlman's work? The Doppler scans? The fact that recreational divers don't have a chamber on their boat?

The Doppler NDL for 130' is 5 minutes - anything deeper is considered a mandatory deco dive.

SSI sets its max depth for recreational diving at 100' (recommended).

Buhlman's studies show considerable differences in the Doppler vs. Navy tables. Besides that, I am of the opinion that narcosis becomes a serious issue on air past 100'.

Of course, I am also of the opinion, based on Weinke's research, that there's no such thing as a "no-deco" dive....

-d

the dry erase board that I wrote the profile on.

Dive one was 60ft for 50 minutes. Surface interval was 30 minutes. We are looking at doing 50 ft for 50 minutes for the 2nd dive. Question to the students was," can we do the 2nd dive we are thinking of doing?"

PADI tables yield

Dive 1 pressure group U. Back in the water with pressure group M
Adjusted max dive time is 39 minutes (I made a mistake in my earlier post saying it was 41) Been quite a while since I used the PADI table and mixed up the numbers.

NAUI tables yield

Dive 1 pressure group H. With a 30 minute surface interval the pressure remains at H. adjusted max dive time is 14 minutes.

25 minutes difference in dive times allowed.

To re-state the question, If you have PADI tables and your buddy has NAUI tables what do you do? Not dive?????

The better question is "How long does our surface interval have to be in order to do the 50ft/50min dive?"

In general, you should be following the plan with which you are comfortable.

The simple answer to *your* question is "No". Since neither diver's table will allow the dive after a 30 min. SI.

If I had my PADI RDP table or Wheel, I'd post the minimum SI for the repetetive dive, but they're at home and I'm at work. :(

-Rob

2:24 will allow the NAUI diver to do the 50/50 dive. The PADI diver needs a SI of 57 minutes.

Yes the answer for the students was no we can't do the dive we are thinking about.

Doesn't appear that there is easy way for these two divers to do the 50 minute 2nd dive. They could do a 42 minute dive after the NAUI diver had a 1:42 minute SI. This would have the PADI diver down to pressure group C and the NAUI diver at a E.

The only other suggestion that I can make is that they dive the more conservative of the two tables, which in this specific case would leave the PADI diver working with an unfamiliar table.

If I remember correctly, the PADI RDP uses a middle compartment (60 min H/T springs to mind?) to calculate surface offgassing, but the Navy table uses a more conservative slow compartment.

What this means is for long shallow exposures e.g. 1 hour @ 14 meters the PADI RDP will be less conservative than the US Navy tables.

I can't remember the details, but IIRC they are in the DMs manual.

What to do?

Don't use the navy tables.

Back
Top Bottom