NAUI MAX Depth???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like rab's idea. 2 1/2 hours is a while but not too long, maybe go and have lunch, come back later. Well, my diving is almost exclusively shore diving right now as it's cheap, I don't have much cash, and it's easy to do here in Vancouver, BC. Maybe when you're on the boat a long S.I. is not possible.

I think though as long as the divers are able to work out a safe agreement, then it should be ok. Personally I dive to my PADI RDP or more conservative. If my NAUI buddy would concede to use the PADI RDP, then I would use it otherwise I would use the more conservative table, in this case the NAUI table. You can't really make your dives more dangerous by being more conservative. As long as both divers fully understand the workings of the table they are using, I would think it is ok.

That was really a good question that jbd had though. It makes a good point. I have not yet dove with my NAUI buddy, but I plan to in the near future, and I think I will be able to work out a safe agreement.

Is there anyone else out there who has been in this situation, where one buddy uses PADI tables and another uses NAUI tables (or any 2 different tables for that matter)?

The max depth, to my knowledge, was not established because of deco issues. It was established to avoid Nitrogen Narcosis at greater depths. i.e. you can avoid deco, but within the same no deco times, you could experience unsafe episodes of Nitrogen Narcosis.

Padi has a MAX depth of 130 ft. Narcosis was the reason I was given for this depth. Can't comment on NAUI having a depth of 100'.

All of this assumes you are breathing compressed air.

Colin Berry

for what is considered recreational no deco stop diving is 130 feet.

One story I heard about this depth being selected was from the navy. The point was that at this depth the no deco stop bottom time was to short to get any work done.

jbd once bubbled...

As it turned out according to both tables the planned 2nd dive was beyond adjusted maximums. What was quite striking though was what the adjusted maximums for each table was.

The PADI table allowed a 41 minute dive and the NAUI table allowed a 14 minute dive.

YEah...that is something I noticed with NAUI's tables....they are very very conservative on consecutive dives....from what I remember (I do not have both table in front of me) though, IANTD and PADI are both pretty close in repetitive dives in that range.

The reason this sticks out is b/c Brian and I made some cattle boat dives 2 years ago in FL in late DEC. The second dive...NAUI let me know we were allowed to be down for like 15 minutes...PADI was almost 40, and so was IANTD.

At 190ft on regular air....doesn't the oxygen in your tank start becomming rather toxic/poisonous at this depth?

Correct me if I assumed wrong.

At 190 on air in sea water, the PP of O2 in your tank is 1.42 ATA...that would be what I call living on the edge if you are doing anything work-like on the dive.

jbd once bubbled...
2:24 will allow the NAUI diver to do the 50/50 dive. The PADI diver needs a SI of 57 minutes.

Yes the answer for the students was no we can't do the dive we are thinking about.

Doesn't appear that there is easy way for these two divers to do the 50 minute 2nd dive. They could do a 42 minute dive after the NAUI diver had a 1:42 minute SI. This would have the PADI diver down to pressure group C and the NAUI diver at a E.

The only other suggestion that I can make is that they dive the more conservative of the two tables, which in this specific case would leave the PADI diver working with an unfamiliar table.

If you agree to stay within the more conservative table, then no diver has to work with an unfamiliar table. In this example, the NAUI diver is working with his/her own table -- should be comfortable/familiar enough. The PADI diver is just staying well within his/her NDL for the 2nd dive -- no need to use the NAUI table. This comment would only apply if the pair were going to use the less conservative (more aggressive) table which places one diver outside his/her "comfort zone".

Lunch sounds like a good idea. Maybe the extra time could be used to consider planning a multi-level dive or talk about the benefits of using a dive computer.

-Rob

rab once bubbled...

Lunch sounds like a good idea. Maybe the extra time could be used to consider planning a multi-level dive or talk about the benefits of using a dive computer.

-Rob

That is true...if lunch is feasible....on a cattle boat, there isn't much time for lunch between dives.

The only bone of contention I have with the NAUI tables is the repetitive dive thing....to get a good bottom time, on deeper dives I think you have to be out like 4 hours or something....

At any rate, we are all discussing divers using their brains and making intelligent decisions based on what they know and feel comfortable with. I like this trend.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
That is true...if lunch is feasible....on a cattle boat, there isn't much time for lunch between dives.
If that's the case, I wonder what tables the dive boat uses when planning the SI between dives? You've got to expect a variety of tables and computers among the divers. Does the most conservative of all tables rule the day??

-Rob

Dive boats, especially cattle boats, do not plan the surface intervals based on dive tables. They base them on how quickly they can get the requisiite number of dives done, get back in to the dock, and pick up the next load.

Back
Top Bottom