NAUI Open Water Class Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be honest they were running a half off special for Black Friday.. I was looking for a cheap course, I am not that worried about what she will or will not learn in the class, since I will teach her "what she needs to know".

Plus I would only allow her to take a class I can completely monitor (especially the open water dives, I MUST be allowed to be her buddy). I have concerns about some other extremely poorly trained student killing her. There is no way, I would trust her safety to these certification agencies or their instructors.

I just wanted to have her get a card.. even if it is becoming increasingly meaningless, she may want to go on a charter boat or something sometime and it would make sense for her to have card to show.

On the other hand, I would rather not support an instructor who would openly violate standards. It seems to be getting so ridiculous, I am wondering if there is not a source for fake cert cards..

Let your daughter go... When I was certified, my stepdad (Instructor, technical diver) only helped me if I came to him for help and even then he made me figure stuff out a lot. If I came to the right conclusion, awesome. If I was wrong he stepped in to help me. This ended up helping me so much. She would more than likely feel like you're being overbearing on her. Believe it or not instructors don't want their students dying on them, just throwing that out there. Try finding the last time a student was killed in an OW class, good luck.

You also say you want your daughter to have a good class... yet you go searching for the cheapest class possible... hmmm.

If you are this overprotective, what's she going to do the first time she dives with someone else? or will she not be allowed to?Let your daughter grow

GC

NAUI has some of the most stringent standards in the industry, albiet not number 1. NAUI gives us the leeway to add as much as we see fit to our courses and require proficiency in those additions in order to attain certification.

The experienced scuba course still exists, and in my humble opinion...no your teenager would not be eligible. Maybe your best bet would be to reactivate your instructor status for a year and certify your whole family yourself. Probably be the cheapest option in the long run.

Remember that quality anything doesn't come cheap. I would assume as a prior instructor you would have a higher understanding of this.

Is there somewhere I can look up the experienced diver criteria? How do you know she is ineligible for that certification; she is 15 yrs old? She would be the last of the kids to get certified.

Also, people are confused, I never indicated I want a good course, I simply want a cheap one. If I can monitor the class, then I really don't care how quick and superficial it is, but as indicated, I didn't want to use an instructor that would break standards.

Is there somewhere I can look up the experienced diver criteria? How do you know she is ineligible for that certification; she is 15 yrs old? She would be the last of the kids to get certified.

You could google "Naui experienced diver course". It'll take you to this:

"Experienced Scuba Diver

This is the perfect course for the diver with experience but not a formal certification (such as military, commercial or scientific divers) who wishes to gain a NAUI diver certification.

You must be 15 years of age and have proof of at least 25 open water scuba dives to enroll in an Experienced Scuba Diver course. Once you’ve completed your NAUI exam and open water training, you will gain a NAUI Scuba Diver certification – the most respected diver certification card in the world!"

Also, people are confused, I never indicated I want a good course, I simply want a cheap one. If I can monitor the class, then I really don't care how quick and superficial it is, but as indicated, I didn't want to use an instructor that would break standards.

So... cheap, but complete and not violating standards? You can't have it both ways. I agree - if your requirements are going to be that specific you should just reactivate your instructor status. You won't be happy with the standards in an inexpensive class, and the instructor in a decent course (which I suspect will cost too much for you) won't want you there when they learn of your helicopter parenting.

-Adrian

You could google "Naui experienced diver course". It'll take you to this:

"Experienced Scuba Diver

This is the perfect course for the diver with experience but not a formal certification (such as military, commercial or scientific divers) who wishes to gain a NAUI diver certification.

You must be 15 years of age and have proof of at least 25 open water scuba dives to enroll in an Experienced Scuba Diver course. Once you’ve completed your NAUI exam and open water training, you will gain a NAUI Scuba Diver certification – the most respected diver certification card in the world!"

So... cheap, but complete and not violating standards? You can't have it both ways. I agree - if your requirements are going to be that specific you should just reactivate your instructor status. You won't be happy with the standards in an inexpensive class, and the instructor in a decent course (which I suspect will cost too much for you) won't want you there when they learn of your helicopter parenting.

-Adrian

thanks, we will have to do a bunch more dives before she hits 25 dives.. I'm NOT looking for a "complete" or good course. I just want to get her a certification card.

fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-can-t-tell-if-trolling-or-serious-f28644.jpg

Let your daughter go... When I was certified, my stepdad (Instructor, technical diver) only helped me if I came to him for help and even then he made me figure stuff out a lot. If I came to the right conclusion, awesome. If I was wrong he stepped in to help me. This ended up helping me so much. She would more than likely feel like you're being overbearing on her. Believe it or not instructors don't want their students dying on them, just throwing that out there. Try finding the last time a student was killed in an OW class, good luck.

You also say you want your daughter to have a good class... yet you go searching for the cheapest class possible... hmmm.

If you are this overprotective, what's she going to do the first time she dives with someone else? or will she not be allowed to?Let your daughter grow

GC

Actually one was killed not that long ago. Look up the Lake Rawlings fatality. Or how about a twofer on what was supposed to be a discover scuba? There are instructors out there who I would be afraid to dive with let alone allow to train someone I cared about. I have no problem with certified.parents being in the water and on checkouts. In fact I require it for some of the skills. They must be there for all sessions, classroom and pool. But It is made crystal clear who is running the class and who the instructor is.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Actually one was killed not that long ago. Look up the Lake Rawlings fatality. Or how about a twofer on what was supposed to be a discover scuba? There are instructors out there who I would be afraid to dive with let alone allow to train someone I cared about. I have no problem with certified.parents being in the water and on checkouts. In fact I require it for some of the skills. They must be there for all sessions, classroom and pool. But It is made crystal clear who is running the class and who the instructor is.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I think that is actually smart to have the parents in the water with the child, especially if it is for the junior certification. The parents will most likely be diving with the young child, so I can completely see where you may feel that it is your (ethical) obligation to try to ensure that the parent/child team will be able to function in openwater safely.

As for the safety of training classes, I worked for years as a DM on a charter boat and I've seen some pretty crazy stuff happen with training dives. It IS dangerous, to be honest that is the primary reason I stopped teaching. I was just too damn nervous about students doing stuff I couldn't control, it stopped being fun pretty quickly. I enjoyed "helping" with classes as an uncertified DM more than having all that responsibility on my shoulders for uncertified divers.

For junior certifications I require the parent to be in the class with the child ... since by the terms of the junior certification they must dive either with a parent or someone designated by the parent.

But as I understand it, your daughter's not going for a junior certification, nor the limitations implied by that cert level ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For junior certifications I require the parent to be in the class with the child ... since by the terms of the junior certification they must dive either with a parent or someone designated by the parent.

But as I understand it, your daughter's not going for a junior certification, nor the limitations implied by that cert level ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

True, but she will be diving only with me for a while. It might be interesting to set the 15 yr old twins off on a dive by themselves, just not yet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Right. That's one of the reasons why I wouldn't allow a parent in the water. It's a different matter if the child is doing a Junior cert.

-Adrian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom