NAUI vs. PADI Nitrox course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assume a Nitrox certification by any agency is fine with all the others, and it doesn't need to be the same agency that certified you in the first place?

I believe this is the case for all non-pro certifications--ei. you could be PADI OW, NAUI AOW and go anywhere for Rescue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I did my initial OW qual with NAUI and several years later I did AOW, Dry, Ice, Nitrox, Rescue and DM with PADI and last spring I completed Advanced EAN/Deco Procs with TDI. I had no problem getting my previous quals recognized along the way by the gaining agency training me.

I did the PADI online course in 3hrs and took a small 5min test at the scuba shop. It was around $200. IMHO, I would not do it again. A fool and his money.

My only advice would be, carry out a bit of research on where you would be completing your course. 3 hrs on-line and 5 mins in a shop would not get a sign off from me for the EAN course.

Just out of curiosity, what did the shop get you to do in the "test"?

To the OP, I did my EAN with TDI and have had no problems having it accepted with other agencies either

From experience, the NAUI course is much more in-depth an includes some good theory whereas the PADI course is a little more "lowest common denominator". If you want a better understanding take the NAUI course, if you are just going to set the computer consider the PADI one.

I don't know that it really matters. Nitrox is a simple course and to me, a very simple concept. There are three easy equations, unless of course you are one of the types in 8th grade that thought Algebra was stupid and you'd never use it.

Personally, I felt that the PADI course was over the top. If there was ever a course that you should be able to complete entirely online, Nitrox/eAN is it.

Hi,

I just completed my PADI Nitrox Course today. My Instructor sat down with me with tables and we went through the tables and switched back and forth with tables and computer. Went over the procedures on the forms,etc and Verified what was in the tank,etc..Than did our dives. I really enjoyed my Nitrox class and dives and I can't wait for my nxt dives with Nitrox.

You can mix and match certification agencies for OW, AOW, Nitrox, ect. The prerequisites will say "AOW or equivalent from another agency" as an example. As far as PADI's Nitrox course, there were no dives and since I recently bought a computer, I did the computer version of the class. There is a tables version that will make you figure MOD's, EAD's and so on. The requirements were to analyze a couple tanks, and plan a 2 tank repetitive dive to various depths. You would have to show competency in programing the computer you would be using or be able to perform the dive using tables. You did not have to make dives. I don't feel you would learn anything more if you were to make the dives or not. Breathing off a tank is the same with either air or nitrox in them. Granted, you have to know what your max depth is for the mix and be sure not to exceed it...

As far as NAUI goes, I know they make you do the dives. I would have wanted to make the dives for my PADI cert just to get the dive experience, but that was hundreds of dives ago. I like to combine Nitrox with AOW that way you get dives in either way with the PADI cert.

I did the PADI online course in 3hrs and took a small 5min test at the scuba shop. It was around $200. IMHO, I would not do it again. A fool and his money.

You get what you pay for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom