NAUI Wreck Penetration Level 1, Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darkpup

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Our class started out like most others with the usual excitement and concerns that go hand in hand with this type of training. One of the concerns on my mind was the change from a 5thd-x Wreck Workshop to a NAUI Wreck Penetration level 1 class with certification, and I wasn’t really sure how this would affect the class.

Would AG go light on us because it was a NAUI course? (not a chance)

Would we still get the in depth line drills and protocols we’d hoped for? (Abso-fricken-lutely!)

Would my skills be up to the challenge? (still not sure about this one )

Janeane and I showed up at Breakwater (Monterey, Ca) about 8 am, and Kevin, our teammate for the class, had driven up from L.A. the night before. Part 1 of our class started at 9 am, Friday morning (11/11/05), with the arrival of Andrew Georgitsis (AG) and Joe Talavera. As the class kicked off, we started with hard limits and expectations for the class.

1. Stick to NDL limits (no decompression dives)
2. All penetrations will be limited to 80 cft of gas
3. One continuous guide line at all times (i.e. no jumps)
4. No major restrictions
5. No complex navigation
6. Max depth 100’

The gear requirements would include the usual DIR gear configuration in addition to doubles, 1 reel, 1 free spool (2 if 1 is secured to your smb), 1 primary light, and 2 backup lights. Following the discussion on limits and gear, we learned that the class would be broken down into 14 dives spread out over 5 days (6 for us). Each day would start at 9 am with lectures and land drills till 12 pm, diving till 4 pm, and wrapping up each day with gas fills, lectures, and video review.

Day 1 would focus on introduction to line work intermixed with valve failures and a history lesson on wreck diving.

Day 2 would focus on lost line, no vis / no mask, and lost buddy protocols with failures.

Day 3 would continue with the previous days lessons in deeper water (i.e. 60’ rather than 30’) to focus on laying line, miscellaneous failures, following the line back to the exit, and ascending as a team.

After a brief run down on the above information and schedule, we got into the nuts and bolts of wreck diving. We discussed the basics of wreck diving with topics on environment, Sheck Exley and accident analysis, history of wrecks, laws governing salvage, and several stories of some of AG’s wreck diving experiences to tie things together. He must have repeated the limits 5 or 6 times through this part of the lecture.

We then moved on to the reel. We learned the features of the reel, how to run line, the importance of a primary and secondary tie, the difference between double and single tie ins, wraps, and how to do an end tie. The term “slack kills” came up often as we started running line around the benches, posts, and rocks up by the grass at Breakwater. We wouldn’t learn just how bad slack was until Day 2.

Our in water experience came soon after lunch (note to AG: tuna fish subway sandwiches with mayo are not a good dive food). The plan was to hit the water, shoot a bag for an upline, tie it in, and do a round of valve and s-drills. This took a bit longer than expected as is usually the case on the first dive, but we made our way through the tasks before a slow ascent backup to the surface. On the surface we met up with AG and Joe, and came up with a plan of attack. AG and Joe would demonstrate a primary and secondary tie in, and find one or two tie ins before the final end tie. They would then clean up the line on their way back to the start point. The only difference from the demonstration and our dives would be the inevitable failures we would experience. We were informed that we should expect right and left post failures, both fixable and non-fixable, along with left post roll offs during right post failures. Oh joy!

Heading back down, we did 3 dives back to back with each of the teammates taking turns as captain. Things went pretty well, not pretty, but well. It was the first time all of us had dove together, and we were able to work through the failures while running line for the first time. The failures went pretty well, but we made a few mistakes with team positioning after a failure, remembering who had which failure, and stuff like that. The line was difficult to work with. Keeping it tight, getting the ties right, and finding tie ins was a bit more difficult than I had expected. Overall though, we learned a lot.

On a personal note, I still have a lot to work on with regards to diving like my hairs on fire. I thought I had made big progress on this issue of mine since RecTriox, but seeing the video of me vetoing Janeane, the captain, when she turned the dive made things quite clear. I need to keep working on this one.

We wrapped up Day 1 with video reviews at Morgan’s (a coffee shop). Although our trim was off at times, the video confirmed that we were able to work well together while handling the failures. The line work was a completely different issue, and we spent some time discussing ways to improve. We were pretty wiped out after the video, and decided to pick things up again in the morning.

Day 2 started off great. We were able to sleep in, get the tanks filled, and start off at 9 am at Breakwater. The water conditions were rough to say the least, and I was looking forward to the land drills and lecture putting off our first dive.

We started right off with running line around the benches. The primary difference from Day 1 was that instead of each of us running line at the same time, this time we focused on running line as a team. We looked at team positioning, communication, and how/when to assist the captain with the line. Once we ran about 150’ of line, we pulled away and continued with a lecture about the risks of wreck diving. Special attention focused on the importance of protocols and accident analysis.

As mentioned above, Sheck Exley came up with a method for accident analysis for cave diving that identified several key factors that were common:

1. Lack of Training
2. Failure to maintain a continuous guideline
3. Failure to reserve adequate gas supply
4. Diving to excessive depths
5. Failure to carry sufficient lighting

Two more were later added to the list: Deep Air and SOLO Diving. To insure the impact of these points hit home, AG told us two stories that ended badly. I won’t attempt to relay the stories here due to the fact I’d likely butcher them. The first one emphasized how bad things can happen even when you follow the protocols, and the second emphasized how bad things do happen when you don’t follow the protocol. Needless to say, the reality of what we were training for was beginning to hit home.

We followed up this serious lecture with 3 lessons that took several hours to work on. The first was line protocols in a no vis situation. We ran through a couple of dry runs as AG explained the protocols in great detail, and followed it up with following our line back while blind folded. Joe and AG modified the line as we started to make our way back by simulating someone tying into our line and placing a directional line marker in the wrong direction. This stumped us for a while, and we paused for a second to go over the protocol that helped us figure out what was up. Shortly afterwards we hit our first tie in, moved the team to the other side of the line, and continued on our path.

Shortly before we made it to our exit, we ran into a broken line. This is where the reality of the term “slack kills” hit home for us. Janeane took her time with a few helpful warmer/colder hints while searching for the line, and we quickly made our way to the exit. You get use to feeling the line tight in your hands showing the way back. The tactile feeling of a tight line becomes your security blanket in a no vis environment. Slack in the line destroys that sense of security, and the pucker factor increases exponentially. Not good.

The second lesson focused on the lost line drill, and covered several types of search patterns and procedures for locating the line. We each took turns getting spun around while blind folded, and released in the general area of the line. We felt like really bad participants at a piñata party. I started off with a circular pattern search, found a bench, tied in, and proceeded with a circular search of the line. With AG’s help, I learned to take a full arms length of line from the reel I was using at the end of each search to incrementally increase the distance. It took me 3 tries to locate the line, at which time I tied in, picked a direction, found the original end tie (i.e. I went the wrong way), and finally knew where I was. Each of my teammates had increasingly difficult start points, but were successful in their attempts.

... continued in next post

The third lesson was the lost buddy drill that is similar to the lost line drill, but added strategies to determine how to proceed. For instance, if you lose vis during a silt out and lose the line, you’re primary goal is to find the way out. Your gas supply is secondary in this situation, because if you can’t find your way home, the amount of gas you have really doesn’t matter. In a lost buddy scenario, you know where you are and you know the way out. You just don’t know where your buddy is. We learned to perform a quick visual search before securing the line for our buddy and checking our gas supply to determine the best course of action. The reality is that even if you follow the protocol and perform a thorough search, there’s a point at which you’ll need to exit the wreck with or without them. The protocol is designed to give your buddy the best chance of survival in a difficult situation.

We wrapped up this extremely informative portion of the class, and prepared to hit the water. I’ve left out a lot of the details regarding the protocols AG taught us, but I remember hearing Joe mention that the level of detail on the line protocols was more than what he received in Tech 1. The analogy he gave us was that of rock climbing. Tech diving is similar to sport climbing where you clip in to bolts already set for you on your way up. Wreck diving is similar to technical aid climbing where you have to set everything yourself, and use everything in your bag of tricks to safely make your way up.

We hit the water shortly before 1 pm. AG and Joe helped us get past the waves that were crashing shoulder high on the beach, and we headed out toward the kelp of middle reef in search of better tie ins. My understanding is that the swell was in the 14’ to 16’ range that day, and you could feel it on the kick out.

The dives today were broken into 4 different dives:
1. Drop down, set an up line, proceed to set a primary and secondary tie in, and wrap it up with a square shaped pattern of line for our course
2. Perform a no vis line following drill
3. Perform a no vis lost line drill
4. Perform a lost buddy drill

All dives would experience the usual failures that plagued us on Day 1.

Upon hitting the bottom, we immediately realized the environment was going to play a huge role. We dropped down, found a tie in, shot the up line, started our primary/secondary tie ins, and headed out to create our square. This took us close to 25 minutes before we were ready to find the first corner of our square. At times it was difficult to tell the difference between the surge and a really strong current. On top of that, the vis was at times 1’ to 2’ at best. With a great deal of effort and focus on team integrity, we were able to make our way back to the tie in to close the square. Janeane was the first person to come to her senses, and she thumbed the dive.

Upon hitting the surface we A) were amazed that we were able to stick together and accomplish as much as we did under those conditions, and B) we knew we were done for the day. Joe and AG dropped back down to clean up the line and retrieve the smb we had shot. Even though we had our asses handed to us, we had a strong sense of accomplishment, and a new found respect for Breakwater. On the way out, I was rolled at least twice in the surf zone, with Joe helping me back to my feet each time.

We made our way back to Morgan’s for our lecture, which consisted of a power point slide show of the material of laws regulating wreck diving, salvaging laws, limits and expectations of the class, accident analysis, and what to expect in San Diego next weekend. We wrapped up Day 2 a few hours later with a trip to MBDC for gas fills in preparation for Day 3, and headed back to the hotel after grabbing some food.

Day 3 turned out to be a wash. The conditions at Monterey were pretty much the same as Day 2, and all of the boats decided to cancel their charters. My understanding is that Ball Buster, a common boat dive site in the Bay, had strong surge with 2’ visibility at best.

At this point, there was a bit of concern about the success of the class in that we weren’t sure if we’d be ready for the Yukon with only 5 dives out of the way. Fortunately for us, we had included a 6th day into our schedule, and we came up with a game plan. Instead of doing 3 days on the Yukon, the new plan was to use Day 4 as a make up day, and dive the Yukon on Day’s 5 and 6. It’s going to be a challenging schedule, but we feel confident we can make it work. We spent the rest of Day 3 visiting the Monterey Bay Aquarium (thanks Delia and Joe), and wrapped up with pizza and Bon Jovi playing in the background before heading home. An odd end to a long and great weekend.

It’s now Wednesday, 3 days have past, and I find myself looking seriously at why I want to wreck dive. Originally I wanted to take this class because I thought it would be fun. It was a way to continue my education, and explore a new and exciting aspect of diving. After reading “Shadow Divers”, wreck diving was this dangerous activity that I was drawn to because of the history and adventure. The reality is that I had no idea what I was getting in to, but I do now.

One of the things I loved about DIR-F was how it broke down techniques, skills, and safety procedures into manageable chunks that over time were easy to work on. DIR-F showed me a path to create a foundation to build on. RecTriox was designed the same way, and continued where DIR-F left off. Each new technique presented in RecTriox drew from the experience and skills learned in DIR-F. Each class builds on the lessons learned in the previous class making complex concepts easier to understand and practice. You’re left knowing what you need to work on while continuing to build experience.

The NAUI Wreck Penetration level 1 class is designed the same way. Like DIR-F and RecTriox, this class breaks down the complex aspects of wreck penetrations in to manageable blocks to work on. I’m not saying you’ll be ready to dive the Andrea Doria with this class. It does however give you the basic skills to do recreational penetrations (i.e. wrecks within the limits of this class), and it’s up to you to train and practice those procedures while building experience in this new realm.

Before Friday, I had no idea what I was getting in to. Now, as we prepare to head down to San Diego to dive the Yukon, I have a better understanding of what we’ll be doing, and I know what we need to work on. I’m really looking forward to checking out the engine room, and other areas of interest on the Yukon.

Let me know if you have any questions about the class. I’ve left out a lot of the details, and am completely open to discussing them. I’m definitely a newbie in this realm, but I’ll do my best.

Here’s a link to the Yukon: http://www.cawreckdivers.org/Wrecks/Yukon.htm

~ Jason

Great comprehensive write-up Jason!
That's exactly how the Part 1 Class unfolded . . .
I would also like to add that I learned (the hard way!:05: ) --that the Emergency Attention Signal using the Primary or Backup Light means "get to me now and just be prepared to render assistance as I direct you to via hand signals"; not to come over and start immediately donating a long hose to me or messing with my manifold valves. I understand now I must wait face-to-face with the diver-in-distress until he/she signals me for the appropriate action to take (ig. "out-of-air"; "check my manifold"; "light malfunction" etc.) --barring of course an obvious incapacitated, unconscious or convulsing victim where immediate unilateral action is warranted by the rescuing diver. . .

Jason,

I enjoyed reading what you have gone through in your training (so far).

I would like to take up wreck diving and realize that I have a long way to go. The way you related your experience was insightful and gave me something to look forward to.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom