Near diver acts like a new diver (me)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Findol

Registered
Reaction score
So! It's been a good while since my last visit to this forums and felt like today justified a post. Basically I was able to go out on a dive again after a longish time not being able too due to work.

First off, I should say I had a LOT of new gear that I haven't tested yet. New wetsuit, new dive light, new computer, and in a sense, new BC/Reg (New as in, rentals I haven't used).

So, as such, here begins my story:

I made it it my goal to dive on fathers day as I had an excuse to go out with my new gear and I had the entire weekend free from work. I got together all my gear, including the new gear that I've received over the course of the last few weeks due to my birthday passing and obviously, father day gifts (mistake #1). Now just to point out, I've never used a brand new wetsuit, much less a 5mm, I just assumed that my weight would be roughly the same, obviously I was wrong. I head over to my LDS and ask to rent a BC/Reg like I normally do, sadly they were all out due to the holiday (duh) and recommended some shops I could check. I went to my second choice that I've used for my cert dives, lucky me, they had a set in my size available! Perfect I thought. Well in my excitement on getting my gear together to go out, I didn't really inspect the gear they gave me (Mistake #2). The BC wasn't really in bad shape, just one I've never used before, however the weight pockets they gave me weren't really made for this BC but it was easy enough just to stuff them into the pockets and leave it be. However, what I should have noticed is the reg's mouthpiece was destroyed. The both gripping portions (the part that helps keeps them in your mouth) were completely torn off and as such, were difficult to keep in your mouth. This could of been avoided had I looked at my gear before hand. Secondly, I normally use about 14 pounds to keep neutrally buoyant (or close to it), so I figured I would ask for 16 pounds, figuring that would keep me down with the new suit and all. Oh how wrong I was. I could not keep down without some decent physical effort.
Lastly (and not really a big deal in the big picture), I bought a brand new Perdix and was extremely excited to use it outside of my bathtub and sadly, while trying to do my initial entry, I scratched it up pretty badly (note to self: Volcanic rock is SHARP). It now has a pretty long scratch in the middle of the screen that broke past the screen protector that it came with. I've emailed shearwater about how much a screen replacement may cost, hopefully it isn't to bad.

So all in all, about 3 mistakes that I can really see off the bat.

1) Not inspecting your gear before the dive. I should have been able to just ask for a new reg at the shop, rather than have to find out at the dive site.

2) Test new gear in a better controlled environment (a pool maybe), remaining super positively buoyant when you want to dive sucks!

3) Be aware of your entries, otherwise you're new expensive toys may get hurt.

Hopefully this is the right spot for a newbie dive report, if not, feel free to yell and harass me.

TL;DR New diver acts like new diver

Well, happy Father's Day nonetheless :rolleyes:

TL;DR New diver acts like new diver

No, the real lesson here is that you want to make gear changes one at a time, especially when you're new at this.

One thing I picked up from your post is that you correctly identified your own shortcomings - lesson learned for next time.

I would say that, although the general advice is to only add one new item at a time, my advice would be if you have to make a dive with a lot of new equipment make sure that it is in a very benign setting. I did my OW check out in one set of gear, went out and bought new wetsuit, BP&W, regs, torches, fins etc and my next dive was with completely new gear. I did make sure that my buddy knew that I was in new gear and would take a while to get the weighting sorted. Nice gentle shore entry so I could easily go back and forth with weight until I got it sorted.

Hope the Perdix repair isn't too dear. I love mine and I know how much it must hurt to hurt it.

Lastly (and not really a big deal in the big picture), I bought a brand new Perdix and was extremely excited to use it outside of my bathtub and sadly, while trying to do my initial entry, I scratched it up pretty badly (note to self: Volcanic rock is SHARP). It now has a pretty long scratch in the middle of the screen that broke past the screen protector that it came with. I've emailed shearwater about how much a screen replacement may cost, hopefully it isn't to bad.

I frogot this was a perdix and not a petrel - so have changed my comment.

You can possibly polish it out. If not just leave it alone unless is effects use. It's meant to be a tool and doesn't have to look pretty.

Back
Top Bottom