Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this might be helpful in determining a round about amount to start with

That formula works out to 20lbs for me and I dive 14lbs with a steel HP100 (-2lbs so remove 6lbs from the calculation) and a 7mm suit so I think thats pretty darn close

For me, in warm, saltwater, and a shorty it calculates to almost double what I dive. Cold water is pretty close.

In fresh water, Its even further away.

Jeff

I get the impression sometimes that not all new divers are taught or encouraged to use their purge valves.

Your right mike, I was not taught to use the purge button. My instructor taught me the two method, i.e. saying two into the flooded reg. I honestly cannot tell which works better.

Not sure where the original thread was, but this tip helped me immensely, and I'd like to pass it on. If it was yours, feel free to post and take credit.

I had a heck of a time finding the string on the rear dump on my wing in gloves, particularly after removing the knob. To locate the string, use your index finger to trace a circle around the rear dump, and the string will wrap itself around your finger.

Last edited:
sticky yokes...that one is a breeze.....stand in front of tank, grasp hoses and gently rotate first stage relative to tank a few times. only moves about 25 degrees with most regs, but it ALLWAYS works..I do it everyday...GENTLY. BTW,,,make sure you purge the regs first !

My din valves lock up impossibly hard, yokes are EASY...Sometimes the DIN regs have to go back to the shop on the tank and a huge pair of slip joint pliers applied....over a rag of course. NEVER had a problem getting a yoke valve off.

sticky yokes...that one is a breeze.....stand in front of tank, grasp hoses and gently rotate first stage relative to tank a few times. only moves about 25 degrees with most regs, but it ALLWAYS works..I do it everyday...GENTLY. BTW,,,make sure you purge the regs first !

Then you're over-tightening your yoke every day.

This is also a bad practice (unless you carry a tool kit with you) as you can loosen the nut on the regulator.

While I don't disagree, this is just part of the story. Knot slipping depends not only on the knot, but how it is used, and the material in which it is tied. Also, the names of knots are not always definitive.

A reef knot (AKA square knot) is a binding knot (for tying packages) often misused as a bend (to join two lines) in which usage it certainly can slip. A double fisherman's knot is a bend, and clearly superior. There are many other bends to consider as well.

A bowline (a loop knot) can slip when tied in synthetic rope. A figure eight in its simplest form is a stopper knot (see my avatar). I suspect ptyx is referring to a climbing knot also called a figure eight. But there are other alternatives here, too. One of my favorite loop knots is a simple variant known as a water bowline: Water bowline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It's easy to tie, and does well in synthetics and in wet environments.

Between sailing, rock climbing, swift water and high angle rescue, and working and building ropes courses I am a but of a knot expert. If you want to challenge your self try to "throw" a figure 8 knot. YouTube - ‪Flying Figure Eight‬‎
and remember "a not neat knot needs not be knotted" in other words if you tie a know and dont take the time to make sure the knot is dome correctly and laying flush with its self you have decreased the effectiveness by 50% at a minimum. lastly the old adage "if you dont know the knot tie a lot" will get you or someone killed or lost if you do it in the wrong situation.

Then you're over-tightening your yoke every day.

I did that the other night. I think my girlfriend was out of town or something and I was lonely and bored.

Last edited by a moderator:
-I use baby shampoo no tears for my mask. It works pretty well.
- I put some folded tissues in d crevices of my uw cam case to absorb some trickles of water that sometimes managed get in.
-Always check & rechecked your tank knob before descending. One incident i had was, during a boat dive, i decided to gear-up in d waters. I already checked that my air is on, but when I donn my wings & was checking my reg again, no air! Apparently, the person who handed me my gears turned it again thinking he's opening it.

My din valves lock up impossibly hard, yokes are EASY...Sometimes the DIN regs have to go back to the shop on the tank and a huge pair of slip joint pliers applied....over a rag of course. NEVER had a problem getting a yoke valve off.

You've got some sort of issue going on here. A DIN valve should screw off as easily as it goes on. The main thing is making sure all the air is purged after shutting off your tanks. As was mentioned earlier, it tends to seep back in from the HP hose. That little pin sized hole that's intended to keep your tanks from draining if the HP ruptures also tends to retain the pressure in the regulator even after you purge everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom