Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't think of one gear problem that is easier to solve underwater than on dry land, let alone "most".
That's not what she said, and I agree with her. Most gear issues that manifest themselves during a dive (escaped tank, etc) are best solved at depth and not bobbing on the surface. More accidents happen on the surface where the water interfaces with air.

Reef knots and bowline will slip. Double fisherman and figure eight won't.
While I don't disagree, this is just part of the story. Knot slipping depends not only on the knot, but how it is used, and the material in which it is tied. Also, the names of knots are not always definitive.

A reef knot (AKA square knot) is a binding knot (for tying packages) often misused as a bend (to join two lines) in which usage it certainly can slip. A double fisherman's knot is a bend, and clearly superior. There are many other bends to consider as well.

A bowline (a loop knot) can slip when tied in synthetic rope. A figure eight in its simplest form is a stopper knot (see my avatar). I suspect ptyx is referring to a climbing knot also called a figure eight. But there are other alternatives here, too. One of my favorite loop knots is a simple variant known as a water bowline: Water bowline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It's easy to tie, and does well in synthetics and in wet environments.

While I don't disagree, this is just part of the story. Knot slipping depends not only on the knot, but how it is used, and the material in which it is tied. Also, the names of knots are not always definitive.

A reef knot (AKA square knot) is a binding knot (for tying packages) often misused as a bend (to join two lines) in which usage it certainly can slip. A double fisherman's knot is a bend, and clearly superior. There are many other bends to consider as well.

A bowline (a loop knot) can slip when tied in synthetic rope. A figure eight in its simplest form is a stopper knot (see my avatar). I suspect ptyx is referring to a climbing knot also called a figure eight. But there are other alternatives here, too. One of my favorite loop knots is a simple variant known as a water bowline: Water bowline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It's easy to tie, and does well in synthetics and in wet environments.
Hence the name, "knot-ical"!

Originally Posted by ptyx
>>In doubt, take a couple extra pounds. Underweight is no fun.<<

Could you please elaborate on that. I am under the impression that carrying too much lead will force you to use more air in your BC or suit and then you have to fight the compression/expansion of this extra volume in shallower depths. Actual experience: I found a 9 lbs weight pocket the other day on the bottom at 25', hooked it to my vest, and that (actually the air I had to blow in the BC to compensate) made buoyancy control worse. Meaning that I could hold less of a depth 'window' with breathing.

Last edited:
I can't think of one gear problem that is easier to solve underwater than on dry land, let alone "most".

Finding where the leak is coming from.

When placing tanks in your trunk / boot face the valves towards the sides or towards you. In the event of an auto accident and the slight chance of valve breakage you want the tank bottom:)mooner:) pointed away from you and your passengers.
I disagree with this for several reasons. Put the butt of the tank FIRMLY towards the front of the vehicle or sideways and so that they won't roll. If/when you hit something, you want to reduce the ability of the tank to develop it's own momentum and fly into the passenger compartment and you want the widest possible footprint if/when it does.

You can judge a current--either an isolated one or a generalized one--by observing fish behaviour. By doing this, you can anticipate and prepare for small eddies, localized downcurrents, or shifting currents, and you can make a rough assessment the rate of the current as well.

Care to elaborate on said fish behavior and what to look for specifically? I'm very new so most of this stuff I probably won't register until later, but looking at this kind of info really helps make things register sooner than they would otherwise.

Fish normally face into a current. If you see a number of fish looking in a different direction, you know there is a current aberration there.

I disagree with this for several reasons. Put the butt of the tank FIRMLY towards the front of the vehicle or sideways and so that they won't roll. If/when you hit something, you want to reduce the ability of the tank to develop it's own momentum and fly into the passenger compartment and you want the widest possible footprint if/when it does.

Funny, I always placed tanks in the vehicle with the valve facing away from me for the simple reason that if something were to happen and the tank went ballistic, then the police/other party wouldn't have anyone to prosecute :D :D .

Peace,
Greg

Fish normally face into a current. If you see a number of fish looking in a different direction, you know there is a current aberration there.

Thank you. See the things you can learn on scubaboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom