Neat way to pack your BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been packing my DSS single-tank rig this way:

Backplate and wing in a checked bag, along with fins, wetsuit, miscellaneous gear, clothing and most toiletries. The backplate rests on the bottom, with cambands still attached and extending upwardly. The straps seem to rest flat enough against the bottom that I can't see why any further compaction would be useful. Clothing and misc. gear packs in the center, even within the cambands. Wetsuit rests on top of all that, and wing rests on the wetsuit. Seems cushioned enough to minimize risk of wing pinch-flats. (And then TSA repacks it all randomly.)

Mask, regulators, computer, a little clothing, medicines, and fragile or expensive stuff go in my carry-on.

We take our setups apart for packing -- we take the wing off, and the cambands off. Then the plate can go in the bottom of a suitcase, and smaller items can be laid on top of the webbing. The cambands fold flat, and the wing is emptied of air and put in the bottom of another suitcase.
This is exactly how I pack mine, separated into three pieces. Makes it easy to shift pieces around for tight packing and avoids possible damage to the wing. I also remove the exhaust valve and unscrew the hose elbow from the wing to further minimize the possibility of damage.

The best way I have found is using the same method I was taught with military parachutes, aka rigger roll. Start by (1) folding crotch strap up on backplate; (2) crisscross your shoulder straps-pull one through the other so they are laying on the opposite side; (3) take your waist strap and wrap them around you shoulder straps and folded crotch strap several times and finally fasten the buckle to keep every tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom