Need a bit of help / advice quicky please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Russ_UK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've only got a few days before I must make a decision, so thought I would try here for a bit of help and advice please.
I've been lucky enough to win 2 return flight tickets to Manila and then 2 return internal flights onto any other location with Philippine Airlines. It is only for a total of 8 nights in the Philippines, with the first and last night being in Manila. These tickets must be used by myself & a friend before the end of June
So I'm looking for any recommendations for somewhere different to visit - where would you go if had a free choice ? It does not necessarily have to be a dive location - maybe just a sight seeing trip as I don't usually get to many other places during my diving holidays.
I've already been to Coron, Sabang, Dumaguete & Dauin, and we will be be going to Subic in Feb / March next year.

Diving only(in alphabetical order):
1. Davao and General Santos
2. Malapascua + Oslob
3. Southern Leyte.

Toss the coin!!

Can I ask why Davao and General Santos first on the list? Are these places this good?
I also have a preconception - no serious reasoning behind it though - that that part of Philippines is less safe for foreigners than, say, Visayas, etc. Can you comment on this?

Thanks!

Congrats on the win. From a pure value standpoint, since you seem to go to the Phils once in awhile anyway, you could search for what flights are most expensive and use the free tickets for that. Then you can go to the other cheaper places when back in the Phils on your own dime.

If you're looking for diving, Centrals knows his Philippine stuff and made good recs.

Thanks for your replies so far. After chatting with my mate we are thinking of the possibility of Boracay. It's a location we have thought about visiting so this could be an opportunity just to check out the area in preparation for a future dive holiday. We usually have our vacation to the Philippines at end of Feb to mid March (nearly 3 weeks there).
Is Boracay worth a visit during the last week of June (we will have 6 nights there) ?
Would many places still be open ?
Would I need to book in advance ?
We would prefer the budget for rooms to be less than 2000php per night - any suitable suggestions ?
How easy is it to get from the airport to the resort at this time of year ?

Thanks again for all your help.

Can I ask why Davao and General Santos first on the list? Are these places this good?
I also have a preconception - no serious reasoning behind it though - that that part of Philippines is less safe for foreigners than, say, Visayas, etc. Can you comment on this?

Thanks!
1. The list is in alphatical order.
2. I have been to both places and did not find them anymore unsafe than the rest of the country. Having said that, I have been warned on few occasions that certain areas in Mindanao are really off-limited to tourist.

---------- Post added November 13th, 2015 at 09:12 AM ----------

Is Boracay worth a visit during the last week of June (we will have 6 nights there) ?
Would many places still be open ?
Would I need to book in advance ?
We would prefer the budget for rooms to be less than 2000php per night - any suitable suggestions ?
How easy is it to get from the airport to the resort at this time of year ?
The island is open 12 months a yr.
A short tricycle ride from the airport at Caticlan to the peer and then a short ferry across. Make sure you know where to get off. There used to be 3 ferry stations on the island(please check the latest info on this).
June is definitely low season.
Calypso divers has been around for ages and has good reputation but the rooms are expensive. Victory divers has cheaper room.

Be careful if you want to visit Mindanao, there was kidnappings there only a few weeks ago. Recommend flying into Cebu and doing to the Whalesharks in Oslob, Sardines in Moalbol and Threshers in Malapascua. quiet a lot of driving around but you will see the best of Cebu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom