Need a good night dive light - Sub $200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDolphin

Reaction score
Please post your picks for a night dive light. I'd like to see if there are good performers in the sub $200 range. If not.... I may be swayable to pop for more.

I need a good dive light that I can use for night diving.

Thanks

Well for the price, a Light Cannon is probably your best bet. If your willing to spend more $, a canister light is the way to go.

Underwater Kinetics C8, I think it's below US$200.

The UK C8 LED light works very well. It is under $100 and the batteries last for 12 - 15 dives on 8 C-cells

mdsd:
Underwater Kinetics C8, I think it's below US$200.

the c8 can be got for less than 100..for 200 get the light cannon, you won't be disappointed, talk to Larry at scubatoys.com, i think he has them for around the 150 mark...you'll be amazed how bright they are, if you want to go cheaper, get teh eled version of the c8, not the older version, you definitely want a white light

some alternatives:

i loved my UK D-8, all the light i needed for cavern and night diving,
for only $70.00 (and it had dual, independently operated bulbs, so if
one burned out during a dive, you just flicked the switch and... voila!)

an AWESOME light for the price and size is the UK Sunlight SL-6, only $30.00
and it gives you quite a lot of light (this is my favorite back-up light
now that i've gone to an HID canister)

both are easily available on line.

BlueDolphin:
Please post your picks for a night dive light. I'd like to see if there are good performers in the sub $200 range. If not.... I may be swayable to pop for more.

I need a good dive light that I can use for night diving.

Thanks

I have a UK C8 eLed and recommend it. I had the standard UK C8 but replaced it with the eLed model because it is brighter and the battries last longer. With the standard model the light dims as the batteries are used so yu have to change batts when they are only 1/2 used because the light has gone 1/2 dim. The eLed uses voltage regulation and remains bright untill the last few minutes and makes good use of every milliamp in the batteries. I can do 8 or maybe 10 dives on a set of C size batteries with e eLed

That said, Somew of my dive buddies have the UK Light Cannon. It is a lot brighter then my eLed. But sometimes they have problems and the light will go out and it takes a minute or two to get it going again. That's just the nature of the thing. If you buy the Light Cannon do NOT giet a wimppy backup. Make your backup a small sized primary. The eLed is very robust and unlikely to fail unless you've messed up the o-ring

You need at least two lights and I like to have three and also a spare one in the dive bag and then I have those locator lights for the tenk.

I dive at least one night night a week (conditions permitting), mostly after work at the beach. It you are likr most you will end up owning four lights. I'd buy yhr eLeds fist and then decide if you want more light, if so pick up a Light Cannon and keep the eLed as a spare for when the Light Canon is not working or the "wrong" light.

The UK C8 eLED is a good choice. Nice white light, long battery life, and very tough. The Light Cannon is even brighter, but it's more expensive and the bulb is kind of delicate. I know a lot of people with the Light Cannon, and every single one has had to replace the bulb at least once in their first year because they mishandled it.

I have a light cannon and have had it over a year no issues other than battery type, had problems with the light going out and having to wait to turn it on, switched the batts to duracell and no problems at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom