Need advice getting WETsuit for cold water. Pls Advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In case you havent bought a wetsuit yet...
I live in Sweden (we have about the same temps as you do in California) and use a 5mil fullbody semidry with a 7mil vest-with-hood on top.
Aqualung made mine but I know that Mares has a model with the same design.

Don´t know if you can find these brands in the US but if not you can always order online...both are very popular here...

As mentioned consider adding a hooded vest underneath the 5mm suit.
Quiets down any zipper leakage
Warm neck and head.
Extra warmth for your core.

I have the Bare with 5mm hood and 3 mm body and love it. I use it with a Bare velocity 5/4 fullsuit and we're good to the low 50's. Maybe even lower but I need to wait a few more weeks to find out. We're snorkeling only so suit compressiion isn't factored here but I can't overstress what a difference the hooded vest made. My wife is using the same setup only from LiquidFit with excellent results. As always your own tolerance plays a big part

Pete

grazie42:
In case you havent bought a wetsuit yet...
I live in Sweden (we have about the same temps as you do in California) and use a 5mil fullbody semidry with a 7mil vest-with-hood on top.
Aqualung made mine but I know that Mares has a model with the same design.

Don´t know if you can find these brands in the US but if not you can always order online...both are very popular here...

Thanks guys. I bouth a Pinaccle Polar, it's a 7mm semi-dry with merino wool inside.
I think it should be warm enough. I need to check it in colder water.
Thanks anyway

I dove wet in RI this past winter. Water temps were 36 F. My buddy also dove wet. He used an hooded Excell suit with a 5 mm vest. I used a bare Atric suit with a 7mm (home made) hooded suit over it. It was a famer john top that I cut off the sleeves and sewed and glued a hood onto it. Bare has something similar to it.

I'de suggest the Mares Isotherm. Also an 7mm excell or henderson hooded full suit 7mm with smooth inside skin and a 5mm vest to go with it.

i'd get a Harvey's, they're made well and affordable, plus easy to don and doff. I've been using one up here in 50-52 degree water and its bearable.

divebrasil:
Hi,
I have a 5mm semi-dry wetsuit, but I moved to colder waters and it doesn't get the work done anymore. I have been using rentals so far, but I wanna buy one now.

My mindset is, since I will buy a wetsuit for coldwater, I should get the most insulated one.

So, I found out the oneill 7000 J-type that has an internal jacket of an extra 5mm. Making a protection of 12mm on the core area.

Do you have any other suggestions? The ones that fit well without letting water get in. Like, with elastic cuffs.

What do you use and you believe keeps you warm at 57 degrees AND UP?

I thought about getting a shorty wetsuit, like a 3/2 or 2/1 and just wearing under my 5mm. But I am not sure it will hold the cold.

What do you say?

PS: PLEASE DON'T REPLY TELLING ME TO GET DRY SUIT. CAN'T AFFORD IT. Thanks

Thanks a lot

hey Dude ,check it out,i used and still do use (sometimes ) my mares isotherm millenium 6.5mm semidry.I dove this suit up north in Boston/maine year around and could manage to do three dives a day 60-130 without getting cold,make sure to warm up during the surface interval(wind chill),this suit doesnt give you a cold water rush upon entry and water barely seeps in it.It has neoprene drysuit seals and a drysuit back entry zipper.I paid 520 bucks for it back then and you can have it now for 300 something at" Leisurepro". My suit has done tons of differend dives troughout the northeast ranging from 40 to 60 degrees fahrenheit and never left me cold and it still looks like new,very durable,used it for the florida caves too by the way.I,m 6"1 and dont have excessive blubber to keep me warm so i think you should check it out and let me know what you think.Peace

Hi
I just wanted to let you know that I used to dive with a O'Neil suit like you mentioned 12 mm farmer John)and it worked fine in Lake Superior all summer up till December. It was very bulky for the first 5-10 dives but it collapsed from pressure of diffrent dives and was very easy to move around in. I Don't like the ones with built in hoods since thy are really bulky if you want to dive with out the hood up.. My two cents. I also found that O'Neil fits persons that are tall and thin very well..... I now have a dry suit since it dosent get cold once your out of the water in poor weather...Hi,
I have a 5mm semi-dry wetsuit, but I moved to colder waters and it doesn't get the work done anymore. I have been using rentals so far, but I wanna buy one now.

My mindset is, since I will buy a wetsuit for coldwater, I should get the most insulated one.

So, I found out the oneill 7000 J-type that has an internal jacket of an extra 5mm. Making a protection of 12mm on the core area.

Do you have any other suggestions? The ones that fit well without letting water get in. Like, with elastic cuffs.

What do you use and you believe keeps you warm at 57 degrees AND UP?

I thought about getting a shorty wetsuit, like a 3/2 or 2/1 and just wearing under my 5mm. But I am not sure it will hold the cold.

What do you say?

Thanks a lot[/QUOTE]

I'm in So. Calif. Water here is low 50's to mid 60's. If the water is 57, I don't know many divers who would use a 5mm suit. There a few but that's an exception. Must everyone uses a 7mm suit and about half use a hooded vest under it. A few will go with a jacket over making a 14mm core thickness but that requires a "ton" of lead weigt. a 5mm is just to cold in the arms and legs even if it fits perfectly.

the 5mm would be OK if you were to do just one beach dive and change into dry cloths right after. But not a 5mm for multiple dives. The 7mm is more usfull. I've used the 7mm suit up to high 60's and if it get warmer you can always use it with the ziper down or skip the gloves and or hood.

Fit is THE most importent thing. Locally Body Glove has almost a cult-like following. 75% of the locals wear BG suits. They make enough mens sizes (including things like "large-short" and XX-Tall and the like 5that you can find one that fits. BG was started here in Redondo Beach in the 1950's and the founders are still around and active so that may explain the local popularity. But any brand that fits YOU, well , a, "ike a glove" will do.

Some people are buying off the rack BG suits and taking them to a local custom suit shop to have them modified for better fit, making them into a semi-custom for only about $60 more. Well worth it if you can't fit in an off the rack.

Bottom line: for mid 50's you want a well fitting 7mm full suit with at least a hooded vest under it. A hooded 3/5 shorty might be even better. then you'd also have the shorty for tropical dives.

rufus5:
Hi
...What do you use and you believe keeps you warm at 57 degrees AND UP?

Thanks a lot

BigJetDriver69:
Work some overtime, mebbe?

I work 65 hours a week... I can't afford a drysuit...

Anyway, I dive in a 7mm with 5mm hood and reef gloves. I can dive this all year, and I'm good to go. It all depends on your tolerance to cold.

Back
Top Bottom