Need advice getting WETsuit for cold water. Pls Advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can probably get a neoprene drysuit for about $400, if you didn't know that already. They're warm.

:butnhome: The Pinnacle will be great! You can always add a hooded overshorty if the 7mm suit alone doesn't quite cut it. I have done tons of cold water wet suit diving. The only time that it was a problem was repetitive dives on cold days. I dive dry now, too.

7000 J I heard it is very nice and warm, but hard to fit in.

aboalreem:
7000 J I heard it is very nice and warm, but hard to fit in.

It gets easier with time. However, I still have to do this DaNcE to get into it.

For my $0.02 worth - I would look at either the Cressi Semistagna Ice or the Mares Isotherm.

I dive the cressi suit - it has a drysuit zip across the back and I have to say that it is pretty warm for diving up here in the PacNW. Drysuits just seem too much of a hassle and I like keeping it on the simple side for tank diving. I'm more than likely not as warm as I would be in a drysuit, but I also don't have to worry about having to deal with air in my feet - I'm actually itching to try it in one of the really cold lakes about 90 minutes east of where I live - water temps are mid to high 30's and 200 foot viz - will probably add my 3mm vest underneath for additional warmth.

I also considered getting a lower-mil suit to add to my 5 mil, but decided against it just because it would take so long to suit up.
I live in Northern Ohio where the water only gets up to around 70 on the surface during the warmest time of the year. At depth, it can get as low as 30-35. So needless to say, I suit up THICK.
I actually have a 7 mil farmer john setup, giving me 14 mil of warmth at my core. I wear a 5 mil hood year-round and 5 mil gloves. I do find myself cold during the early and late months (April and October) but unfortunately, if I let that stop me, I'd hardly get any diving in due to where I live.
I will disclose to you though that I am generally cold-blooded. I have poor blood circulation that leads to me chilling VERY easily (hence the 14 mil wetsuit :eek:)

Bare 7mm artica with the bare hooded vest also 7mm, you can ice dive in that.... I used to till I went dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom