Need advise - Is shorty adequate protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depending on the planned length of the trip, number of dives, topside activities, etc....

When I spend 5 days in Coz, I wear a 3/2 full suit, and even at that, by day #4 (dive's 7 and 8) I'm getting pretty chilly.

If it's more of a family vacation with only a couple of days of diving or only one dive a day, then a shorty might be fine.

RichLockyer once bubbled...
When I spend 5 days in Coz, I wear a 3/2 full suit, and even at that, by day #4 (dive's 7 and 8) I'm getting pretty chilly.
I'll ditto what Rich said. In Coz, a 3/2 jumpsuit, in Hawaii a 7/5 jumpsuit and in California a Dry Suit.

I just got back from Maui. The guides were amazed someone actually brought a 7/5 to Hawaii. What do all the guides wear? The exact same 7/5 I had (Henderson Gold Core 7/5 jumpsuit)! Some guides even went as far as to wear an undervest with a hood!

Roak

roakey once bubbled...

I just got back from Maui. The guides were amazed someone actually brought a 7/5 to Hawaii.

Roak

So Roger....did you try to steal their suit(s) like you did mine???!!!!

Darlene,
Your best bet would be to go with a skin. From what you've said, you might even be able to go without the shorty. I was in WPB a week ago and the dive charter was really pushing that I should wear a wetsuit due to the water temp. I decided to skip the suit, just using my dive skin instead. No problem at all with the water temp. As others have stated, everyone is different when it comes to their comfort zone. I did do one night dive just using my swimsuit, but I feel more comfortable wearing the skin (for protection). Now, if only I can improve my photography abilities....... had a great oppotunity to get a pic of one of those jellyfish. If only it had turned out. :upset: Well, that's another story for another thread.

Anyway, hope this has helped.......and enjoy your trip!!!!! :)

Water temp is right around 85 right now. A 3mm shorty should be plenty. Not to big of a concern right now. Havent seen one in a few weeks, and I dive 3+ times a week :)

Back
Top Bottom