Need advise on New fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an old set of Jet Fins I have used since 1978. They have incredible thrust but are tiring on my lower legs when just sport diving. I guess they are the fins of choice among tech divers with all their gear but just for sport warm weather diving I'm probably going to get something new or gently used. Checked out the Scuba Po Nova's at a LDS and man are they ever light. Probably a good choice for someone who travels by air a lot. Might have to give them a try but I'm still looking.

Last edited:
There has never been a fin made that is worth more than $50.

The biggest difference between new fins and used fins is a few insignificant scratches.

:popcorn:

With your evidently limited experience, stating your opinion as fact seems to be inviting confrontation...

Would it not be more accurate to say there are a number of scuba fins costing less than $50 new that are pretty close in performance to fins costing up to 4 times that amount? :idk:

IMHO, If you are buying just one pair of fins for both scuba and breath hold diving, there are very few under $50 new that fit the bill.

Would it not be more accurate to say that as long as the used fins have been treated properly, a few insignificant scratches are usually the biggest difference between new and used fins? :idk:

IMHO, a used fin purchase from a seller you have no knowledge of is risky because the good looking in the pictures fins may have never been rinsed and spent much of their non diving time sitting in direct sunlight.

My most recent fin purchase was used Cressi Gara2000's and I am still jumping for joy at only spending $72 for superior fins that appear to have been treated well. :eyebrow:

halemanō;5683594:
With your evidently limited experience....:

What evidence are you talking about??

You mean just because I have never had to have a DPV surgically removed?:mooner:

IMHO, evidently comprehension is as limited as composition.

IMHO, one would have to have experience with every fin ever made to pass judgment on every fin ever made, and even then proper internet composition would dictate the use of IMHO.

IMHO, one who has only seen used fins for sale that just have insignificant scratches compared to the same model new fins has limited experience with used fins.

:shakehead:

Whichever you get, look at getting spring straps for them.

Jet fins are incredibly maneuverable and responsive, but not quite as efficient as split-fins, etc. If all of my diving was going to be nice and easy I would probably get something other than Jets.

I don't mind the little bit of extra work with Jets for how responsive they are (and they look cool doing back kicks and helicopter turns!). They're also better at frog-kicking than a lot of other fins which means you don't kick up sand/silt. They're not so great for surface swimming because they're more designed for frog-kicking.

Lastly... they're almost indestructible! If you dropped a tank on them (a scuba one, not an army one) I know they'd be OK. I might not dive with you, but my fins would be fine. I got mine second hand off someone who dived with them for 20-30 years. I've had them for 5-6 years and there is no noticable change in them whatsoever :)

Whichever you get, look at getting spring straps for them.

:shakehead:

If responders would actually read the OP and perhaps other posts made by the op, perhaps they would read these words;

I'm a warm water diver

I did colder water diving here in northern California but am done with that.

Also, if one looked at the profile pic one would see a shorty wet suit wearing diver with fins on the bottom in an overhead environ; a perfect place for jet fins w/ spring straps (NOT). :no:

At this time, only one SB member has looked at the profile pic. :eyebrow:

Don't they make full foot force fins? :coffee:

halemanō;5683724:
Don't they make full foot force fins? :coffee:

They make an insert, that allows all (most?) models of Force Fin to be used bare-footed.

From my experience, Force Fins are just as robust as Jet Fins...and offer a simular amount of control and choice of finning technique. They offer an excellent (the best?) power to exertion ratio.

While a heavily equipped technical diver, operating in high-flow caves, might need the out-right power of Jet Fins, a recreational diver doesn't. Force Fins offer superior power to most fins available, but a much lower level of leg strength and endurance is needed.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but when it comes to the bungee straps on Force Fins and the spring straps found on many other fins, which is a stronger or more reliable setup and why?

I would think bungee may not be as strong and wear faster, but easier and cheaper to replace. Spring straps, I would think, would eventually rust and lose tension along with being slightly more expensive to replace but last longer.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

I've used the same bungee straps on my force fins as when I first bought them (2500+ dives ago). However, they are very easy to replace, if necessary. You just need a 6" length of 6mm bungee cord.

Here is an online article that compares bungee with spring straps. Bungee is best - Divernet

Back
Top Bottom