need ANDP advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Please correct me if I am wrong ( as if someone wouldn't). PADI's tech deep diver is comparable to TDI's ANDP classes. I have read the PADI book and want to read the TDI books (there are two of them) and cost twice as much as the PADI book so I am reluctant to buy them. Padi certifies to 165 feet and TDI to 150 feet.

I have talked to the PADI instructor whom I have known for a while. He is newly certified to instruct but has been a tech diver for a while. He wants me to take his first class with him. I was already looking at taking the class thru TDI at bonne terre Mine but the books are more expensive and the instructor more difficult to get a hold of. I do know (who I believe) the TDI instructor will be and I am very confident in his ability.

I want to get the books and study them before choosing and signing up for a class so I don't have to spend class and dive time remembering new info and can concentrate more on learning the skills portion (I am not 20 anymore and want more time to digest the info).

Not having any TDI info at this time it is difficult to make a decision on which way to go. the Padi will require some travel to complete the dives and the TDI is more local. I can not afford much time to travel for a while.

Can someone offer their experience on these two agencies? Are there enough differences to matter? What are some strengths and weaknesses of each. and why did you choose as you did?

Thanks for your help

The two TDI books are only $60, which isn't much in the world of tech diving. There's a new version of the Deco Proc book coming and the Adv Nitrox book is fairly new too. If your TDI instructor teaches it, you can add the helitrox module to Deco Procs, which will give you light He blends and let you avoid the deep air/nitrox dives which you would otherwise have to do.

All my previous certs were with PADI prior to doing the TDI ANDP course. I really enjoyed the TDI approach to the classes, and I am continuing on with them to get the Trimix certification this weekend if all goes well.

The books ( I think I had the old versions) left something to be desired, but the course was structured to give the instructor the freedom to teach what he felt was important. If you go through the knowledge reviews in each section of both books, you should have no problem planning the dives needed to complete the course.

You can pick the books up from Amazon and maybe save a few bucks, but $60 is truly a drop in the bucket if you are looking to travel this road.

No experience with PADI TecRec, but it looks to be a good program too, but perhaps a bit more rigid.

60 bucks huh? I was told today they were 90 bucks each which makes them twice as expensive as the Padi book.

i purchased both sets of books, they were nothing compared to the gas and equipment costs to follow...

First off, if you're worrying about the price of books you may want to reconsider tech diving. This is a very expensive style of diving and $60 for books is a drop in the bucket compared to what you're going to spend on equipment and gas fills.

As for the TDI books, the Adv. Nitrox book is not bad but the Deco Procedures book is terrible. Fortunately, TDI allows their instructors the flexibility to taylor the class to their needs and not restrict them to just the material covered in the books.

Realistically, choose the course based on the instructor not the books and certainly not the agency. The instructor is the key to a good course irrespective of the other factors and a good instructor will give you a good education no matter what.

Tech diving can be dangerous and you really want to get the best education possible. Don't take shortcuts on your training, you may not live to regret it.

60 bucks huh? I was told today they were 90 bucks each which makes them twice as expensive as the Padi book.

That's less than the cost of my last fill. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Tug
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom