Need fast, good way to get on gear, boots, and suit mainly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum:
<snip>
Suit snot helps if you're donning an already wet suit.

Pete

Q is puzzled: what in the world is suit snot? (I'd really like to know because I own one particularly recalcitrant wetsuit)

mxracer19:
work the knees of the suit up to where you want them and the rest of the suit goes on much easier. if youre wet, get the suit wet. if youre dry, keep the suit dry. if youre wet, and youre wearing a drysuit, keep dry because a wet person in a dry drysuit makes for a wet drysuit...which is a wetsuit.

...riiiiight

-Matt

Nice post!!!!

I've used the grocery shopping bag idea and snot suit too. They both work, but I also found (and been told) that the suit gets easier to put on with repetition. Or maybe it's just breaking in a new suit.

Cheap pantyhose -- it really works!
And I was amazed during Memorial Day weekend when I tried my 1.5 Dacor with my 3/2 Neosport. Not only was I able to dive comfortably in 60-plus water, I only needed the same 10 lbs in my pockets. Two suits can be a bit buoyant with trapped air, so it helps to get the suits wet first. They slide on easier and I can drop under the surface effortlessly.

Trisha:
Cheap pantyhose -- it really works!
And I was amazed during Memorial Day weekend when I tried my 1.5 Dacor with my 3/2 Neosport. Not only was I able to dive comfortably in 60-plus water, I only needed the same 10 lbs in my pockets. Two suits can be a bit buoyant with trapped air, so it helps to get the suits wet first. They slide on easier and I can drop under the surface effortlessly.
I've even seen a guy use the panthose and they seemed to work just fine.

-Oh, you mean on a dive! :D

I use the Lycra when I (rarely) dive my wet suit. Very fast if I want. However, it usually goes like this:

Put something on.

Talk.

Put something else on.

Talk some more.

Put something else on.

Bob arrives for the dive after all.

Wait.

Talk.

Put something else on...

In the winter, when air temps are below freezing and water temps almost as low, I get all my gear set up in my truck in the garage before I leave the house - including having my drysuit on. In those temps, the less time between the warm truck and the water the better.

If you don't have cuff zips at the wrists and shins, put a plastic bag over your hands/feet before you put them into the suit. The suit slips over the plastic like you were greased. Makes life REALLY easy. (Take the bags off before you go diving!!!)

You can do the same for taking the suit off, just tuck the end of the bag under the edge of the sleeve/leg and peel the suit off over it.

Dave

simonator234:
I'm new to diving and I need a good, fast way to get on my suit and boots, etc. Perferedly hassle free. please explain in detail

I second the Plastic Bag trick. But one word of advice, Don't just put the bag on then the suit. Put your hand in the bag then wrap the bag around your wrist and into the palm of your hand to hold it. Then the bag is 20x easier to remove. Same with the feet. The bag can be tricky to remove if it is allowed half way up your arm.

Plastic Groceries Bags is the way to go. Tie them to your feet and push through. Dry or wet, they do the job. However they don't last very long after the whole gang is done with it.

boots, use dive socks, you need to adjust boot size here.

suit, wear lycra suit (rash guard for upper body and lycra pants for legs with foot strap (black ballet pants)) before wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom